Charge controler doesn't go to float using wbj it still uses timer

Started by Taos, October 27, 2014, 05:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Resthome

Quote from: zoneblue on November 03, 2014, 02:48:39 PM
Interesting RH. Peak to peak the  noise layer is about half an amp, yours looks to be nearer 1 or 1.5amps. A lot of that will be be determined by the load on the inverter at the time. Some things like stereos and what not cause a spiky ac waveform to be passed through to the DC side. You could test that by turning off the inverter i guess.

The other interesting thing is how your charge acceptance drops off once it goes to float. On my curve thats almost unnoticable. (2A mark). Are yours flooded? I wonder what the difference is?

They are flooded batteries and they are less that 2 years old and have been lightly used. It's a 12v system with 6 - 2v traction cells (SolarOne). And that use is from April till early November. The inventor would have been on but with a light load  of 8-10 Amps. The inventor is a Xantrex  proWatt SW 2000. When we get back up there next year I'll try to get a graph without the inventor on but that is hard for me to do because I power the laptop from it to run the LA. I need the black box set up or that LA on iOS with data capability (hint hint MN) :-)

The loads would be from a VHF DC radio on standby, Dish receiver AC and King Dome antenna powered from the receiver, DC control to Refig. (.1 A off -.5A DC  on). Since boB said the line to the Classic is digital there shouldn't be an issue with it. It does trip the End Amp if I set it for around 5.5-6.0 Amps.

Once it goes to float the loads are handed by the Solar except for when you might see a spike from a water pump turning on and off. This system is a floating ground so the solar and solar  batteries are not grounded to the hull.

boB the Classic is running the latest firmware and that graph is after the update. I'll have to see if I have any data with the WBjr with earlier firmware to compare.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

zoneblue

As boB said the original firmware was more or less unfiltered, and much nosier. I do think it was a miracle how he got it as good as he did, becuase i tried it, and the reality is that the current flow through that shunt is darn noisy.

The main thing is to assess where the knee is. On your curve id be happy with a 6.5A transition, but just note to get that on your system, youd need to set the EA figure to 6.5+0.75A amps for the noise.

Bob mentioned once about looking at some way we can do a time beyond EA, say EA then 1 hour longer. Some batterys need that, and its a way to adjust for aging banks, whose charge acceptance dwindles with time.

I suppose at the end of the day, when the sun goes down, absorb terminates... one way of another.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

vtmaps

Quote from: zoneblue on November 06, 2014, 02:45:30 PM
I suppose at the end of the day, when the sun goes down, absorb terminates... one way or another.
Or, as the wise surgeon once explained:  "Bleeding always stops".   --vtMaps

zoneblue

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Taos

Update!  Sorry took a bit to get back to this problem I was having with my clasic 150 charge controler not going to float when using the wbj end amps , ok I had originally  the end amps set to 1.9 amps I then changed this setting to 2.0 amps and all is good , I suspect the current  fluctuating slightly due to ( noise ) or  not staying below my 1.9 amps setting for more then the 60-90 seconds. All is good thanks to all for your help!

Don ( greely ,ontario,Canada)
400watt x12= (4800watts)Canadian solar panels,ground mount, (400 AH ) 16 Ao lithium 12volt 100ah 4s lithium  batteries , outback vfx3648 inverter 48 volt,midnite solar classic 150 charge controler,midnite solar e panel mne175al,3 surge protectors,wiz bang junior.

boB

Quote from: Taos on November 12, 2014, 04:40:33 AM
Update!  Sorry took a bit to get back to this problem I was having with my clasic 150 charge controler not going to float when using the wbj end amps , ok I had originally  the end amps set to 1.9 amps I then changed this setting to 2.0 amps and all is good , I suspect the current  fluctuating slightly due to ( noise ) or  not staying below my 1.9 amps setting for more then the 60-90 seconds. All is good thanks to all for your help!

Don ( greely ,ontario,Canada)

Excellent !   Great to hear that fixed it.

Amazing, just that  silly little 100 milliamps.  I would probably adjust it up one more tenth of an amp to 2.1 A
but that's just me.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me