Float current degradation

Started by Barry Fields, May 04, 2024, 12:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Fields

I have queried "East Penn Batteries" with the  questions below. I will advise as to their response.

FLOAT CURRENT DEGRADATION

These are questions concerning GC10 215 AH FLA batteries.

(1) Assuming a reasonable absorb time, once given a float voltage of 2.35 vpc, the float current should eventually stabilize @ approx 450ma (for a very healthy battery). SOC=100%  TRUE?

(2) If the stabilized float current is above 450ma it is an indication that the battery can no longer achieve 100% SOC. TRUE?

(3) Is it possible to assign approximate numbers to question (2) ?     IE 600ma = 95% SOC  900ma = 90% SOC

Thank you for your consideration
Barry Fields
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Unfortunately I had to correct myself. Updated email questions below.

On further thought, I believe that I should rephrase questions 2 & 3.

(1) Assuming a reasonable absorb time, once given a float voltage of 2.35 vpc, the float current should eventually stabilize @ approx 450ma (for a very healthy battery). SOC=100%  TRUE?

(2) If the stabilized float current is above 450ma it is an indication that the battery  no longer has 100% of it,s original AH capacity. TRUE?
(3) Is it possible to assign approximate numbers to question (2) ?     IE 600ma = 95%AH capacity  900ma = 90% AH capacity

(4) In a parallel battery bank, the bank with reduced AH capacity would achieve 100%SOC (with reduced capacity). ????

(5) That battery would contribute less amperage to the total bank discharge currents and probably require more current in the charge cycle. (efficiency degradation) ???
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.