How to Monitor Classic 200SL

Started by justinbowser, April 16, 2020, 12:32:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinbowser

Is there a way to monitor a Classic 200SL since it doesn't have an Ethernet port?
Justin B. - KI5GKD
Classic 200SL, 2.9 KW of Mission Solar panels
Samlex PST-1500-24W inverter
Specialized Power Systems 800 AH 24 V LiFePO4 battery bank (4x200)

boB

The SL can be talked to through the RS-232 port(s)...   The phone jacks inside.

I think the SL has all 3 jacks in a row still ?   If so, then the MNGP remote can still be on the Classic itself and the RS232, through an adapter and to a computer through, typically, USB, can be controlled and monitored remotely

Others here will more than likely chime in on this. 

I have ideas on how to do this but others have actually done this without Ethernet  and/or will know more.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on April 17, 2020, 02:17:46 AM
The SL can be talked to through the RS-232 port(s)...   The phone jacks inside.

I think the SL has all 3 jacks in a row still ?   If so, then the MNGP remote can still be on the Classic itself and the RS232, through an adapter and to a computer through, typically, USB, can be controlled and monitored remotely

Others here will more than likely chime in on this. 

I have ideas on how to do this but others have actually done this without Ethernet  and/or will know more.
Bob,
So if it has a MNGP then you could do serial modbus to it ?  If that is the case should be able to do serial to 232 to a computer running Node Red or a raspberry pi . Grahams Android monitoring software is getting the modbus data via Ip modbus but maybe if his MQTT publisher software was tweaked to input the data via serial it would work.
I have published details in opensource section on how to get serial data out of Classic phone type jacks with all the pinouts etc. So maybe there is hope for SL model. Just isn't a plug and play solution at this time.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 17, 2020, 11:42:05 AM

Bob,
So if it has a MNGP then you could do serial modbus to it ?  If that is the case should be able to do serial to 232 to a computer running Node Red or a raspberry pi . Grahams Android monitoring software is getting the modbus data via Ip modbus but maybe if his MQTT publisher software was tweaked to input the data via serial it would work.
I have published details in opensource section on how to get serial data out of Classic phone type jacks with all the pinouts etc. So maybe there is hope for SL model. Just isn't a plug and play solution at this time.

Larry

Yes Larry !

Exactly what I was thinking !

I know its not already "done"  but at least something to get started with maybe ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: boB on April 18, 2020, 12:11:26 AM
Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 17, 2020, 11:42:05 AM

Bob,

Larry

Yes Larry !

Exactly what I was thinking !

I know its not already "done"  but at least something to get started with maybe ?

I had my classic hooked up via serial but when I went to try it again after putting two classics in Follow Me it didn't work  - I didn't use the Follow me return cable  from first classic to second so was trying to use the unused open plug on one of the Classics.  Seems like when in Follow Me it won't work for regular serial modbus . But I never tried plugging into the MNGP plug instead - maybe that would have still worked for serial modbus too ?

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on April 18, 2020, 01:15:14 PM

I had my classic hooked up via serial but when I went to try it again after putting two classics in Follow Me it didn't work  - I didn't use the Follow me return cable  from first classic to second so was trying to use the unused open plug on one of the Classics.  Seems like when in Follow Me it won't work for regular serial modbus . But I never tried plugging into the MNGP plug instead - maybe that would have still worked for serial modbus too ?

Larry

Yes, the MNGP phone jack port will do everything that the other two ports will do.

But the MNGP port has the two outside legs controlling the two extra LEDs on the MNGP.
That is the ONLY difference between the MNGP (top) port hack and the middle phone jack, really.

The bottom jack has access to everything in the Classic as well but of course does not have power and is reversed pinout.

The 3 ports ARE different from the internal software sense in the Classic but all respond to modbus commands and requests the same.

So, what you were thinking should work fine for external communication with the Classic as long as the MNGP isn't needed all of the time.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

justinbowser

Justin B. - KI5GKD
Classic 200SL, 2.9 KW of Mission Solar panels
Samlex PST-1500-24W inverter
Specialized Power Systems 800 AH 24 V LiFePO4 battery bank (4x200)

Graham

I have this project on github https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ModbusAdapter
It converts Modbus RTU Serial to Modbus TCP over WIFI (read commands only) using an ESP32 dev module and a RS232 interface as per the readme.
I tested it using the lower RJ11 port of the classic.
It looks like the classic is sending other data along with the Modbus responses and doesn't seem to respond to every RTU request.

Does anyone have any idea what this extra data is and if the classic is expecting a response?

The modbus response starts at the 0A (unit ID) in the output below...

Off-Grid Island cottage, Lac Simon QC Canada
370 Ahrs @ 24V (4 8L16 batteries)
4 x 250watt panels on dual axis trackers http://tinyurl.com/hfpkgr5
Classic 150, Whizbang Jr.
Android Monitor: http://tinyurl.com/lomzq3s

boB

If you have another Classic connected to one of the other jacks, that Classic's packets may be forwarded through the other lower jack, like the one you are connecting to.

I think I know...  Since it appears to be sending to address 0xFF, that means the packet is for the next classic connected, whatever its unit ID is set for.

So, this must be a Follow-Me packet.  If you turn Follow-Me OFF, I think that may get that extra data to stop.

That packet contains the charge stage the Classic is in and possibly the battery temperature if enabled as master temp sensor Classic.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Graham

Quote from: boB on May 04, 2020, 02:18:58 PM

If you have another Classic connected to one of the other jacks, that Classic's packets may be forwarded through the other lower jack, like the one you are connecting to.

I think I know...  Since it appears to be sending to address 0xFF, that means the packet is for the next classic connected, whatever its unit ID is set for.

So, this must be a Follow-Me packet.  If you turn Follow-Me OFF, I think that may get that extra data to stop.

That packet contains the charge stage the Classic is in and possibly the battery temperature if enabled as master temp sensor Classic.

Thanks Bob,
After turning off 'Follow Me', I'm no longer getting the "FF 03 10 E5 00 06 C5 21" responses although I'm still getting "10 21 00 02 85 1F" but it doesn't appear to be affecting the RTU.

I tested the ModbusAdapter using a regular Classic 200, I assume it will work on an SL.
The day/hour and calendar tabs don't work since I haven't implemented the RTU File transfer function but at least the other tabs work...

Graham

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Graham on May 05, 2020, 07:53:09 AM
Quote from: boB on May 04, 2020, 02:18:58 PM

Thanks Bob,
After turning off 'Follow Me', I'm no longer getting the "FF 03 10 E5 00 06 C5 21" responses although I'm still getting "10 21 00 02 85 1F" but it doesn't appear to be affecting the RTU.

I tested the ModbusAdapter using a regular Classic 200, I assume it will work on an SL.
The day/hour and calendar tabs don't work since I haven't implemented the RTU File transfer function but at least the other tabs work...

Graham
Graham ,
I believe Bob said the SL model has MNGP so if you plug it into your MNGP jack it should work the same as an SL  model - if I understand it all correctly.  It would be interesting to know if the MNGP jack is unaffected by the Follow Me setting.

Will you be making a version of your Classic Monitoring app that gets its data this way via serial instead of via tcp modbus ?

Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Mr. Crazy.  You may be right that the MNGP is causing that sending of packets that Graham mentioned in his most recent post.

I don't remember. 

Graham, was the MNGP plugged in when you saw those 10 89...  and 10 21...  packets coming through ?

And Follow-Me is only supposed to send and follow on those 2 bottom jacks ?  It could be that the MNGP is repeating but I don't remember that.

I have to re-learn what an 0x89 and 0x21 command is.

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Graham

Quote from: boB on May 05, 2020, 01:07:38 PM
Mr. Crazy.  You may be right that the MNGP is causing that sending of packets that Graham mentioned in his most recent post.

I don't remember. 

Graham, was the MNGP plugged in when you saw those 10 89...  and 10 21...  packets coming through ?

And Follow-Me is only supposed to send and follow on those 2 bottom jacks ?  It could be that the MNGP is repeating but I don't remember that.

I have to re-learn what an 0x89 and 0x21 command is.

I have a Classic 200 with a led panel instead on an MNGP which I swapped with the Classic Lite I had at the cottage...
I guess that makes it a classic lite!

Graham

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 05, 2020, 11:36:43 AM
Will you be making a version of your Classic Monitoring app that gets its data this way via serial instead of via tcp modbus ?

Larry

If you use this ModbusAdapter firmware on a ESP32 with an RS232 interface then you can just use the regular Android app or the Local App with a Classic SL

Graham.

Graham

Posted a update to the firmware on https://github.com/ClassicDIY/ModbusAdapter/releases for release 2.0.2

now supports up to 4 concurrent TCP connections
The firmware does not support modbus write commands at this time so you can only monitor the classic with the local app.
Day/Hour/Calendar view are not supported.

Graham.