Mistake in manual???

Started by openplanet, August 21, 2022, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

openplanet

Hello--Page 24 of the manual (1 0-268-1 REV T) shows the menu map of the STATUS MENU. Screen 1 is described as follows:

--Battery Output Current
--Bulk MPPT - State of Charger
--Battery VOltage
--Charger Mode (Solar)
--Wattage into Battery

Note the attached photo, taken when there are no loads, the Sun is out, the the Kid is clearly charging the battery.  The display shows that the first parameter, which, according the the Menu Map, is "Battery Output Current," as "20.5A."  But this clearly has to be the battery INPUT current!

Am I missing something, or is the manual incorrect?  Perhaps they meant to say "Output Current to Battery?"

As always, Thanks to All!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIANk7zQ05w

FNG

Yes that is Output of the KID to the Battery

openplanet

Wow.

In other words "Battery Output Current" actually means "Input Current to Battery!"

That is phenomenally poor wording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIANk7zQ05w

boB

Quote from: openplanet on August 23, 2022, 10:42:43 AM
Wow.

In other words "Battery Output Current" actually means "Input Current to Battery!"

AhA !!   Yes, that IS bad wording, indeed !

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

Quote from: openplanet on August 23, 2022, 10:42:43 AM
Wow.

Well its not technically input current to the battery as there could be AC and DC loads, So it is Kid output current

boB

"Battery Output Current" is fairly unambiguous  as is  "Input Current to Battery"  I would think

How can that be better put ?

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

FNG

Quote from: boB on August 23, 2022, 08:24:46 PM

"Battery Output Current" is fairly unambiguous  as is  "Input Current to Battery"  I would think

How can that be better put ?
Both are misleading it should simply be "Output Current" if you are writing it in the manual then it should say "Output current - This is the amount of amperage leaving the KID to supply loads and charge the battery" or something similar. I will ping Doug today and have him make a change

littleharbor2

How about battery CHARGING current?
12 Suntech 175's
   Classic 200
   Bogart Tri Metric
   Trace SW 4024 (brand new, sort of, first energized Feb. 2015)
  460 Ah. 24 volt LiFePo4  Battery bank

boB

Quote from: littleharbor2 on August 25, 2022, 07:28:32 AM
How about battery CHARGING current?

I think the problem with these exact words is that not all of the output current is used for "charging" necessarily.

Ryan is correct.  If there is a Whizbang Junior reading the current,  THEN it would be charging current with its reading.

Just remember that the output current of any charger can be going to multiple devices including batteries and inverters, etc.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me