News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

MidNite Solar Status

Started by mhwalisz, February 17, 2023, 01:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhwalisz

Hi, I'm new to this forum.
I've been looking for information on MidNite Solar and have found stuff, but it all seems to be older information. I can find a lot of current info on Victron and others, but not MidNite.
My question is - are they still a viable company?

boB

Interesting !

Where have you been looking ?

What have you been looking for ?

We just recently started shipping Rosie inverters, E-Panels and new MPPT controllers.
They may not be on everyone's web site yet.

Have you Googled  for MidNite Solar ?

What do you mean by old products ?  Classics and Kids and SPDs and the like ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Try this:
https://www.midnitesolar.com/

...  MidNite Solar is still very much on  the leading-edge of solar product development.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mhwalisz

I have a Classic 150 MPPT which I inherited on a motorhome I bought.
I've been looking around and even in this forum the number of posts has dropped off quite dramatically.
Video links for the Classic are all old, is it that out of date?
In other searches, I see a lot of posts about Victron controllers and others, but never seem to find anything about Midnite that is current.
Don't get me wrong, I like what I have.
This is an example of a question that I have: I read that it can handle a wind turbine, then found out after a lot of digging that it has to be on its own controller, separate from a PV install.
It's hard to pick this type of info out from just reading what's on the Midnite website.
Like I said I'm new to this and I'm trying to learn.

Vic

Why not ask your own questions,  and that will add to the currency of any Forum.

It is good that you are searching,  first,  but, please do not be too bashful.

The Classics have been the most versitle CCs available,  with numerous functions,  built-in,  compared to any other CC,   AND with the great MidNite Support, PLUS, this great Forum !!

Have been using Classics, since 2011,  and they all are still doing their jobs, every day in off-grid systems.  They are very rugged,  and have remote control and monitoring capability,   with the Local App, MyMidnite (web site),  and an App that runs on Android phones.

Furthermore there are the newest CCs  --  the Hawke's Bay,  and the Barcelona,  plus the new inverter-charger,  the Rosie.

Great work, MidNite !! 
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mhwalisz

Thanks!
I'm very glad to hear about the ongoing release of products. This has taken away the concern that Midnite had trouble because of the Covid times and couldn't hang in there.

A lot of my questions are around terminology.
I understand series and parallel circuits.
I looked at the Classic String Sizing Tool, but the PV Array section had me questioning how to input the correct values. I have 5 panels connected in parallel, but the only way the math worked out was to put "1" in Number of Modules in Series and "5" in the Number of Parallel Strings.
When I look this up, I'm still confused on "Modules in Series" and Parallel Strings" what they actually mean.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: mhwalisz on February 24, 2023, 04:53:19 PMThanks!
I'm very glad to hear about the ongoing release of products. This has taken away the concern that Midnite had trouble because of the Covid times and couldn't hang in there.

A lot of my questions are around terminology.
I understand series and parallel circuits.
I looked at the Classic String Sizing Tool, but the PV Array section had me questioning how to input the correct values. I have 5 panels connected in parallel, but the only way the math worked out was to put "1" in Number of Modules in Series and "5" in the Number of Parallel Strings.
When I look this up, I'm still confused on "Modules in Series" and Parallel Strings" what they actually mean.

On the String sizing tool you input the data for your PV panel.
let say you had 4 panels - you could have 2 in series and 2 parallel . ( two strings )
It will calculate that.
If you put in 4 in series it will give you data on that ( that would be 1 string)  .
I has been awhile since I used that string calculator.
But it will calculate the maximum amount of pv you can put in series that will not exceed the maximum voltage that the controller can handle.
Like Vic mentioned - try out the calculator and post a screenshot of the results with any questions you have . Then you can get some detailed advice.

Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

mhwalisz

This is how I filled out the Sizing Tool.

ClassicCrazy

Your string sizing screenshot says you can put 5 pv in parallel no problem. 1p5s
It also says you can have 2 series 2 parallel   2p2s  ( double check that - put in 2 strings of 2 series. )
I forget what you are wanting to do ?
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable