News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Barcelona BETA Testing in Montana

Started by Weldman, March 19, 2023, 10:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weldman

Got 10 panels going to it in series of Trina 400W bi-facials 49.4 VOC 41.7 VMP 10.12 ISC 9.48 IMP with VOC temperature coefficient of -0.29% and VMP temperature coefficient of -0/37%.
With temperatures around mid 30's or lower I am only getting 470V at max, our temperatures can drop down to -40 here. Thinking I might put a 11th panel in series. They are 300' away running down 10AWG wire.
Got up to 17.6 kWh on first day of running.
Going to put another string of 10 panels on it in the future or 11, we will see. I would like to spank a Rosie with my inverter welding machine.

Pictures coming in next 24 hours...

boB

Rosie should work well with a welder.   Don't think we have tried that but maybe someone else has ?

Please let us know whenever that happens, if you can.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Weldman

Quote from: boB on March 19, 2023, 03:07:14 PMRosie should work well with a welder.   Don't think we have tried that but maybe someone else has ?

Please let us know whenever that happens, if you can.

boB

Soon as you can get me one I can buy I will sure do that, got the credit card in hand.

Weldman

Seems to want to jump down to 200 volts range time to time from mid 400's as my meter shows it's still getting 400 plus... Need a new cell phone to send firmware updates, hopefully to be resolved in the next 2 weeks.

boB

Quote from: Weldman on March 25, 2023, 08:50:08 PMSeems to want to jump down to 200 volts range time to time from mid 400's as my meter shows it's still getting 400 plus... Need a new cell phone to send firmware updates, hopefully to be resolved in the next 2 weeks.

I know that it will sweep down as low as it can go, around 200V, when it first turns on or at least first time of the day and possibly once in a while.  This is so that the MPPT can detect any partial shading on part of the array.    If you don't have any partial shading, then you can (somewhere in the menus)  change the sweep time which might be set to every 5 minutes or 10 minutes ?

Nice place you have there !

I think we have a few Rosies in stock if you are still interested.

New firmware being released once in a while for both MPPTs and Rosie inverter so weird things should be fixed coming up.  We are in the midst of testing newer firmware for everything now and in the next week or two.

After a while, I had to turn that audio down to warnings only but can be useful once in a while.
Actually, I think I just need to change the time for the MPPT to talk less often which I found available.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Weldman

Quote from: boB on March 25, 2023, 11:42:02 PM
Quote from: Weldman on March 25, 2023, 08:50:08 PMSeems to want to jump down to 200 volts range time to time from mid 400's as my meter shows it's still getting 400 plus... Need a new cell phone to send firmware updates, hopefully to be resolved in the next 2 weeks.

I know that it will sweep down as low as it can go, around 200V, when it first turns on or at least first time of the day and possibly once in a while.  This is so that the MPPT can detect any partial shading on part of the array.    If you don't have any partial shading, then you can (somewhere in the menus)  change the sweep time which might be set to every 5 minutes or 10 minutes ?

Nice place you have there !

I think we have a few Rosies in stock if you are still interested.

New firmware being released once in a while for both MPPTs and Rosie inverter so weird things should be fixed coming up.  We are in the midst of testing newer firmware for everything now and in the next week or two.

After a while, I had to turn that audio down to warnings only but can be useful once in a while.
Actually, I think I just need to change the time for the MPPT to talk less often which I found available.

boB

Thanks,
Bought the place on a whim on eBay 6 years ago and expanded from 22 to 90 acres and counting. No partial shading for these panels, unobstructed for hundreds of feet in all directions though does make sense. Just was looking at it for a bit as I was making a pig tail and seen it went to the deep end and thought that it was odd to sweep so far.
Not too worried about it, battery is staying charged.
My cell phone is 7 years old so trying to do any firmware update for the Barcelona is not happening till next week, need another phone that won't crash an shut off exclaiming dead battery when it's at 90% full.
This one can talk al it wants till it goes mute, after all it's in another structure right now. My Classic went mute after few hundred miles of screaming it's head off from a chaffed solar panel wire on the back of our traveling house.By the time we stopped, it sounded hoarse and then went to garble and silence.

Got a a PM from FNG he is out at a show he is supposed to be sending me a quote next week for one on the Rosie so I will see where that goes.

boB

Quote from: Weldman on March 25, 2023, 08:50:08 PMThis one can talk al it wants till it goes mute, after all it's in another structure right now. My Classic went mute after few hundred miles of screaming it's head off from a chaffed solar panel wire on the back of our traveling house.By the time we stopped, it sounded hoarse and then went to garble and silence.

That is funny !

Yeah, I hate phones that won't stay on long enough to get a job done :(

Good deal on FNG  looking into that for you.

The main point is that your batteries are getting charged.   Probably a good idea to wait until a better up-coming  MPPT  code update is ready in a week or two anyway.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Weldman

Got 11 panels up and Rosie came in though I question myself should I install it or wait for the replacement unit of the Barcelona for the recall. I asked for a tracking number and got no reply, same with the Rosie. Came home to find it by my mailbox which is 3 miles from where my house is.
Seems lack of communication going on a lot leaving me hanging. Should I be calling instead of emailing?

FNG

Our shipping manager has been out for a week sick, It looks like they are running behind in the Barcelona and it has not shipped yet. Tracking is supposed to be auto generated when things ship but some one may not be putting th e info in the proper place this week. I will ask again today about your Barcelona, Sorry for the delays

Weldman

Quote from: FNG on April 14, 2023, 05:46:21 AMOur shipping manager has been out for a week sick, It looks like they are running behind in the Barcelona and it has not shipped yet. Tracking is supposed to be auto generated when things ship but some one may not be putting th e info in the proper place this week. I will ask again today about your Barcelona, Sorry for the delays

A auto generated tracking would be nice or a update on what is going on alone would be enough. Just the hanging in the air is what has me wondering.Take your time with getting things done right and I can wait if I know what is going on.

Weldman

Whiz bang Jr is in the Rosie and there is two spots for it to wire into, one in the Rosie the other in the Barcelona. Which direction do I go, and this is fun trying to figure out the whole Barcelona with breaker panel and the Rosie with breaker panel. I think this wire goes here zapp... ooh that tickles, lets do it again.

boB

I put mine in the Rosie.

Yeah.  There ya go.  Rosie and Jr. 

WB Jr. that is

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Weldman

Will say the screw holes on the Barcelona with breaker box don't line up well on the back plate. Either put all screws in the CC or two screws in the CC and all in the breaker box unless one milled the holes out longer. Hope y'all don't take this as a complaint just reporting what I observe as with everything I have posted and will post on these units. I can get video of it if y'all want to see what I am talking about. The Rosie with breaker box bolted up great to the back plate. I will be getting a video of it welding and taking it beyond its limit doing so.
Great work overall!!!

boB

Thank you Weldman !

You may be seeing what I was also seeing when I put my system together for testing.

I thought that the battery bus bars (and PV in ?)  were maybe keeping the breaker box from bumping up right against the charge controller but it might be something else.

I know it was looked at but needs to be re-looked at I think which can happen this week.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me