News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Lithium Batteries that interface w/Rosie CANBUS

Started by aaapilot, June 28, 2023, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaapilot

Selecting lithium batteries to go with a Rosie/Hawks Bay combo.  Many rack-style batteries interface directly with newer inverters via Canbus or RS-485, as well as UL9540 cert for markets requiring the certification.  Can anybody comment on plans for Rosie in this regard or is it already capable?  Looking at Pytes E-Box 48100R, EG4, etc.  I realize that just about any battery CAN be used via independent settings, but it would be nice if the batteries were plug and play just like the Rosie/Hawks Bay combo.  Thanks all!
_ _ _ _ _
Dave /:\

ClassicCrazy

It may come with time, but first Midnite has to get their combox developed since that would most likely be the interface between batteries and controllers and inverter.
As far as I have seen there is no truly plug and play , everything needs to be set up and monitored. Everything can get glitches and needs updates.
With batteries you mentioned then you are relying on their BMS to supply data to Midnite products so it would only be as reliable as the batteries data and communications. Most present bms don't do what they ideally should or would.
If you haven't ever seen it, take a look at Off Grid Garage on youtube. Andy there has played around and installed lots of different products with different lithium setups. He often runs into issues which he tests and describes very well.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

aaapilot

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on June 28, 2023, 12:18:04 PMIt may come with time, but first Midnite has to get their combox developed since that would most likely be the interface between batteries and controllers and inverter.
As far as I have seen there is no truly plug and play , everything needs to be set up and monitored. Everything can get glitches and needs updates.
With batteries you mentioned then you are relying on their BMS to supply data to Midnite products so it would only be as reliable as the batteries data and communications. Most present bms don't do what they ideally should or would.
If you haven't ever seen it, take a look at Off Grid Garage on youtube. Andy there has played around and installed lots of different products with different lithium setups. He often runs into issues which he tests and describes very well.
Larry
Thank you very much for the reference, I'll take a look! Your point is well taken about information exchange w/different manufacturer's gear.  You are just one electron or software update away from trouble.  Programming hard numbers into the inverter/charger leaves no doubt. :)
_ _ _ _ _
Dave /:\