remote battery sensing

Started by Barry Fields, May 28, 2024, 07:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Fields

For those MidNite products that have remote Battery Bank Sensing, do they ever compare Remote vs Unit Battery voltage?

For example:  An Inverter putting out 6000watts (48v Bank) is drawing approx 125 amps. If the voltage drop between the Battery Bank and the unit is 1volt, 125watts of power is being dissipated in either the cabling or the connections. If a majority is being dissipated in one connection, that connection may overheat.

It may be a good idea to check that remote/unit voltage differential daily at start of the day (once a reasonable current is reached). Better to check before an issue occurs.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

ClassicCrazy

Here is from the Classic which does not have remote sense but I do have -0.3v  offset set to try and get the Classic voltage to be close to what the batteries are reporting when at absorb setpoint.
The Hawkes Bay has remote sense but I can't graph that yet without combox or some way to interpret Canbus. 
This is charging 4 different lithium batteries with both Classic and Hawkes Bay on them, though the Hawkes Bay doesn't do as much in morning on this plot because it's pv are angled towards west.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

The new stuff does compare and decides not to use one or the other if it is too far away in voltage difference.   

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Correct me if I am wrong.

I am seeing a max charge rate (all 4 batteries) of about 35 amps.

If the differential really is .3v, then .3v X 55v = 16 watts dissipated over connections and cables.

Not huge unless its mostly in one connection.
20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

Barry Fields

Quote from: boB on May 29, 2024, 01:19:00 PMThe new stuff does compare and decides not to use one or the other if it is too far away in voltage difference. 

Would be nice to give the Classic a remote BATTv. (please see BBMT  :) )

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Barry Fields on May 29, 2024, 01:22:09 PMCorrect me if I am wrong.

I am seeing a max charge rate (all 4 batteries) of about 35 amps.

If the differential really is .3v, then .3v X 55v = 16 watts dissipated over connections and cables.

Not huge unless its mostly in one connection.
Barry - you have it about right .
I just played around with the offset until it is close to agreeing with what the batteries bms reports.
Notice also in the graph how the current takes a big dip as the batteries get full. The absorb time is set to about 25 minutes , then to float.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

Barry Fields

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 29, 2024, 05:14:04 PMBarry - you have it about right .
I just played around with the offset until it is close to agreeing with what the batteries bms reports.
Notice also in the graph how the current takes a big dip as the batteries get full. The absorb time is set to about 25 minutes , then to float.
Larry

Good to remember that a 6000w inverter drawing 125A (48v) 250A (24v) is more subject to this voltage drop.
125A X .5v = 62.5 watts
250A X .5v = 125 watts

ClassicCrazy

this is off topic Barry but thought you might enjoy this video I just watched 
"Ground is a Myth" in regards to what is ground and the benefits or detriments of grounding circuits, equipment,  or electrical systems . https://youtu.be/VvE570NPmmI?si=uFOg4l2KYYaazk-t
video from ARRL vice president.
Larry
system 1
system 2
system 3
KID / Brat portable

boB

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 31, 2024, 03:34:17 PMthis is off topic Barry but thought you might enjoy this video I just watched 
"Ground is a Myth" in regards to what is ground and the benefits or detriments of grounding circuits, equipment,  or electrical systems . https://youtu.be/VvE570NPmmI?si=uFOg4l2KYYaazk-t
video from ARRL vice president.
Larry

Larry, turns out I watched this video just the other day !
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Barry Fields

Quote from: ClassicCrazy on May 31, 2024, 03:34:17 PMthis is off topic Barry but thought you might enjoy this video I just watched 
"Ground is a Myth"

Just watched it. I feel much better grounded in the subject.

For a limited time you too can have the miraculous BBMT which will identify all your real and imaginary grounding issues and lead you to the promised land of resolution!