Estimating Battery Bank Capacity

Started by Barry Fields, May 30, 2024, 05:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Fields

Just because your Battery says it's capacity is (example) 215AH, doesn't mean it still is 215AH.

Traditional methods to test capacity require a nearly complete discharge of the battery.
Ponder the attached discharge chart.

By monitoring the discharge current (or ah) and the time for Battery voltage to drop between two set-points,
an estimate of AH capacity without a complete discharge.

This would be done infrequently between the hours of 11PM and 3Am (when the charge controller is not busy with MPPT).

ADDENDUM
For parallel battery banks I would put forward the following example:
I have 4 banks 48v FLA each originally rated at 215AH each. That total would be 860AH. After three years the above procedure estimates the capacity @800AH . If you measure the current contribution of each bank, one could estimate the AH capacity of each individual bank.

Bank 1  30%
Bank 2  28%
Bank 3  27%
Bank 4  15%

It would be time to check ALL the connections on Bank 4, each individual battery, and then ,if no improvement, consider replacement.
I would think a monthly test would be sufficient.

Comments appreciated

20 years experience in Field Service and Engineering Support in life support equipment and the computer Industry.
I pride myself in diagnostic skills and NOT knowing everything. I do know how to ask the right questions of those who should know the answers. I can do this politely.

ClassicCrazy

You would also have to factor in the lead acid battery temperature because that may not be constant.  Midnite calculates that in for it's SOC estimate reading.
I think these days most people have or will soon be moving on to lithiums from lead acid batteries.
So the way to know capacity is with counting down the ah from when the batteries are at the top charge. With lithium you can more easily see that top from the voltage and when the current drops off.
And it doesn't matter too much if they don't even get filled all the way up regularly since there are no sulphation concerns.
Larry
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable