Local app kwh Jump

Started by offgridQLD, February 03, 2013, 11:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

offgridQLD

I was concerned that my local app was showing high KWH number at the end of the day around 13kwh typical day is around 8-10kwh max and we had a low consumption night befor so should have only seen 8kwh returned to the bank. 13kwh was very odd.

I was watching today remote  no one at the house so only the very predictable base loads last night and today, I get a very predictable 4kwh or so charge each day when I am not at the home. I'm showing 6.4kwh! and its only 2:45pm. there is no change in the loads.

Why I think something funky is going on with the app or the classic is I was looking at the local app live at 2:20pm it was showing 5.8kw for the day With around 250w going into the bank on float. Within a second while watching  the kwh number jumped up to 6.4 kwh! you can see it on the graph below how it lumps 0.6kwh in 5 min.  I'm not trusting the numbers something odd is going on. it looks like it has done a few jumps like this over the day.

classic software

local app

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

boB

Now that is a weird one I have not seen yet.  Especially while it is running and accumulating kW-Hours right then and there.

What does the MNGP say for kW-Hours on the main status screen, if you have an MNGP.

And what does the single kW-Hour number and gage say on the main Local App screen ??

Do they agree with the graph, or say something lower like your typical daily production ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

offgridQLD

the KWH dial and the kwh number on the main screen of the local app was what I was looking at when I noticed it jump 0.6kwh in one hit. It went from 5.8  to 6.4kwh just like that within a second and I then looked up the 1/2hr graph data and it reflects the same jump over 5 min (minimum resolution) It just isn't possible over that time when only feeding 200 - 300w to jump that much.

The sun is just about down now and its 5:30pm. The classic ended up pumping 7kwh into the bank.

I'm monitoring from another location at the moment so cant check the screen on the classic.

7kwh a lot considering no one has been at the house from 4pm yesterday, So its just the fridge, modem, inverter on consumption and charging losses and a few other very small standby loads. like I said usually around 4kwh is what I see to  replaces the previous nights consumption and cover the day time loads including running and charging inefficacy losses over that 24hrs.

7kwh just doesn't follow the usual pattern so i mentioned  the odd jump in  accumulating kW-Hours for the day. Its like the app or classic is just sending data every 30min a so in one hit and it jumps up. Even that doesn't explain the higher daily total. I will see how I go tomorrow hopefully I see a more reasonable kwh number around 4kwh tomorrow.

Kurt
Off grid system: 48v 16x400ah Calb lithium, Pv array one  NE facing  24 x 165w 3960w, Array two NW facing 21 x 200w 4200w total PV 8200w. Two x Classic 150,  Selectronic PS1 6000w inverter charger, Kubota J108 8kw diesel generator.

boB

Quote from: offgridQLD on February 04, 2013, 02:44:38 AM
the KWH dial and the kwh number on the main screen of the local app was what I was looking at when I noticed it jump 0.6kwh in one hit. It went from 5.8  to 6.4kwh just like that within a second and I then looked up the 1/2hr graph data and it reflects the same jump over 5 min (minimum resolution) It just isn't possible over that time when only feeding 200 - 300w to jump that much.

The sun is just about down now and its 5:30pm. The classic ended up pumping 7kwh into the bank.

I'm monitoring from another location at the moment so cant check the screen on the classic.

7kwh a lot considering no one has been at the house from 4pm yesterday, So its just the fridge, modem, inverter on consumption and charging losses and a few other very small standby loads. like I said usually around 4kwh is what I see to  replaces the previous nights consumption and cover the day time loads including running and charging inefficacy losses over that 24hrs.

7kwh just doesn't follow the usual pattern so i mentioned  the odd jump in  accumulating kW-Hours for the day. Its like the app or classic is just sending data every 30min a so in one hit and it jumps up. Even that doesn't explain the higher daily total. I will see how I go tomorrow hopefully I see a more reasonable kwh number around 4kwh tomorrow.

Kurt

Do you have only one Classic that you monitor ?  I am wondering if maybe two (2) classics are getting read by the local app or its address changed ?

Does your Classic have a unique 8 character name ?

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

offgridQLD

I only have the one classic and yes it has a 8 digit Device id.

Kurt

boB

When this happens, it is normally when the Local App stops talking to the Classic and when it
re-connects, the kW-Hours have accumulated and it all of a sudden shows up.

Could that be what happened ??  Is it impossible for that many kW-hours to accumulate ?
That is the weird part I think if that is true as you mention you only have so many watts
of PV.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

offgridQLD

When this happens, it is normally when the Local App stops talking to the Classic and when it

Yes that looks like what was happening although the high KWH numbers are strange.

Today things look to have settled into a more normal pattern battery is on float after 3.9kwh and charging at 120w covering base loads while holding float. This is normal and what I have come to expect. :)

Regarding yesterdays abnormality. looking at the DATA tab then OFFLINE tab I see entry index (1) is now showing 13.6kwh for yesterday its strange as i didn't even make that kwh number yesterday. last night while looking at the local app with the sun down and the classic at idle it showed 7.1kwh for the day. At the time I was thinking 7.1kwh was abnormally high now its logged 13.6kw! for yesterday. Where is it getting the numbers from it hasn't logged 7.1kwh anywhere  looks like it just made up 13.6 and used that???

On a positive note in the logged data  I am showing a hi power wattage for yesterday 4.686w :o that's not bad for a 3.960w pv array i guess i was getting  some kind of cloud edge reflection.

Kurt

boB

Quote from: offgridQLD on February 04, 2013, 08:23:12 PM

Yes that looks like what was happening although the high KWH numbers are strange.

Today things look to have settled into a more normal pattern battery is on float after 3.9kwh and charging at 120w covering base loads while holding float. This is normal and what I have come to expect. :)

Regarding yesterdays abnormality. looking at the DATA tab then OFFLINE tab I see entry index (1) is now showing 13.6kwh for yesterday its strange as i didn't even make that kwh number yesterday. last night while looking at the local app with the sun down and the classic at idle it showed 7.1kwh for the day. At the time I was thinking 7.1kwh was abnormally high now its logged 13.6kw! for yesterday. Where is it getting the numbers from it hasn't logged 7.1kwh anywhere  looks like it just made up 13.6 and used that???

On a positive note in the logged data  I am showing a hi power wattage for yesterday 4.686w :o that's not bad for a 3.960w pv array i guess i was getting  some kind of cloud edge reflection.

Kurt

Yes, those edge of cloud events are a lot of fun and a very nice surprise whenever I see them.

We need to get this newer Local App out with the date stamps instead of the index numbers...
I think that will help a lot in trying to decipher some of these logs.

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Resthome

Quote from: boB on February 04, 2013, 08:37:17 PM
Quote from: offgridQLD on February 04, 2013, 08:23:12 PM

Kurt

Yes, those edge of cloud events are a lot of fun and a very nice surprise whenever I see them.

We need to get this newer Local App out with the date stamps instead of the index numbers...
I think that will help a lot in trying to decipher some of these logs.

boB
Until the new app comes out to fix the logging you can find the previous days data at index 380 on the Local App V0.3.10

Bob - hopefully the Ahr lifetime data gets the decimal point corrected and the Float Time data that is also incorrect gets resolved also.   ;)

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

offgridQLD

Ok thanks for the tip. I found yesterdays 7.1kw at index 380 :)

Kurt.

Halfcrazy

Working with Andrew now. Can you explain the float time issue?

I should explain that for some reason the classic is not logging days in order so aside from that I am using a version of the app now that reads the date and stamps it. So the dates may not be in order but it is the date the data was actually acquired. boB is working to fix the order of the 380 days of data. I want to fix up the local app this week and roll it out to you guys to see if we fixed it completely. One issue is the items like AF, GF etc. the version I am running requires the latest code for the classic. Feel free to PM me or email me if you would like to be included in the testing group on the local app

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

offgridQLD

Hi Ryan,
             Its not a float time issue. The issue started last weekend i will explain some details in case there is some info hidden in it that I didn't see.

I  returned to our off grid home on Friday night. Due to a storm the internet went down during the week. So when I got there on the Friday night I  turn the modem off and on again and everything was running again easy .

The next day (Sat evening) I noticed when viewing the days data in the remote app program . It was showing had returned over 13kwh to my battery bank. This is very odd and a good 3 -5 kwh more than a typical weekend day!! . I didn't think much of it until the end of the next day -  Sunday evening when I noticed over 13kwh again. I then checked our AC kwh meter on our inverter to see if we had increased our AC kwh consumption for some reason more than a  typical weekend day and we had not.

We had to leave the property Sunday evening but I monitored the system over the internet via the remote app to see what happened over the weekdays. The loads are even more consistent on weekdays (I have over 16 weeks 80 weekdays of logged data so I know the weekday patterns well in regards to KWH of charge each weekday. What I noticed over mon,tue and now today- wed was just over 7kwh being fed into my bank each day a good 2kwh more than I have ever seen for a weekday (system just running consistent predictable base loads) and should not require 7kwh of charge. Its 30 - 40% more than normal

So I started to dig into the logged data to see if I could find if there was a error or abnormality. The only thing I could find that was odd when looking at sat,sun,mon,tue and wed's logs on all 5 days the rather than kwh's rising steadily over the day 1.1 - 1.2 - 1.3kwh and so on I would have a stretch of time stuck at say 1.5kwh and then the next entry would be a jump to  1.9kwh . I looked at logs before that past week and I cant see this kind of behavior before the weekend going back months. So its just funny that the sudden rise in total KWH for each day and this odd jumps in the logged kwh are at the same time. The odd thing is when you do a rough calculation of the time and the  watts being fed in while the log drops out it adds up to the kwh number it jumps up to.

Wattage being fed into the battery at float seems about 110 - 150w higher over the time the battery's are on float than nefpr the weekend (going back month)  but loads have not changed at all so that's strange. I would have thought perhaps all of a sudden my battery has gone sick suddenly and is burning a extra 2kwh a day to maintain float over the day.  But looking at the voltage its holding over night while not being charged  it actually looks heather than it did weeks ago holding 51.0v intill late into the night compared to 50.8 weeks ago same conditions so i don't think the battery's are sick if anything its healthier ???

I'm just guessing now but I did reset my modem on the friday, I only have one classic so I'm sure it cant be recording its data two times or something strange like that ?

When I am at the house on Friday I can provide more data including AC consumption (I have shunts on everything) Its just not making sense in my head why I am pumping so much more kwh into my battery bank for the same AC load all of a sudden.

Kurt

Resthome

Quote from: Halfcrazy on February 05, 2013, 11:03:28 AM
Working with Andrew now. Can you explain the float time issue?

I should explain that for some reason the classic is not logging days in order so aside from that I am using a version of the app now that reads the date and stamps it. So the dates may not be in order but it is the date the data was actually acquired. boB is working to fix the order of the 380 days of data. I want to fix up the local app this week and roll it out to you guys to see if we fixed it completely. One issue is the items like AF, GF etc. the version I am running requires the latest code for the classic. Feel free to PM me or email me if you would like to be included in the testing group on the local app

Ryan
I'm the one who mentioned that the Float Times are not accurate in the Offline Data of the local app. I sent you an e-mail that point to my previous discussion. If you need more info let me know. Thanks Ryan for looking into this.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

Halfcrazy

Sorry about that. I responded to the float time thing see if that makes sense and if you have the latest firmware I can send you a Beta App that has dates not numbers.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Resthome

Quote from: Halfcrazy on February 07, 2013, 05:58:29 AM
Sorry about that. I responded to the float time thing see if that makes sense and if you have the latest firmware I can send you a Beta App that has dates not numbers.

Ryan

Yes I have the latest firmware and the latest app. I would be glad to look at the Beta app.
John