News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

PV Glitch???

Started by North of 56, March 09, 2013, 03:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North of 56

I've noticed lately that the gremlins have come by to pay a visit. I must be due for a visit with them, LOL. Occasionally, I get a reduction in my PV input to about 1/3 of normal and my Classic controller indicates PV Shading. Input voltage also drops dramatically, from around 90 volts, to about battery voltage. This occurs only for a brief period, 30 seconds typically, and then returns to normal. I noticed this in the past, but thought it was due to cloud cover, when the PV shading was indicated. That or a very large bird that lands on my panels. I have 2 strings of 3 panels, so it sounds like their may be a temporary short circuit somewhere. I also have a Midnite surge arrestor, but it appears to be functioning OK.

A poster from another site thinks that my Classic controller (150) may need a firmware update. Mine indicates it has FW 11/10/10.

I've also disconnected the Midnite SPD and haven't noticed the problem since, but also the clouds just rolled in, so it could turn into a waiting game to try and diagnose.

Any suggestions?

Watt

Quote from: North of 56 on March 09, 2013, 03:38:24 PM
I've noticed lately that the gremlins have come by to pay a visit. I must be due for a visit with them, LOL. Occasionally, I get a reduction in my PV input to about 1/3 of normal and my Classic controller indicates PV Shading. Input voltage also drops dramatically, from around 90 volts, to about battery voltage. This occurs only for a brief period, 30 seconds typically, and then returns to normal. I noticed this in the past, but thought it was due to cloud cover, when the PV shading was indicated. That or a very large bird that lands on my panels. I have 2 strings of 3 panels, so it sounds like their may be a temporary short circuit somewhere. I also have a Midnite surge arrestor, but it appears to be functioning OK.

A poster from another site thinks that my Classic controller (150) may need a firmware update. Mine indicates it has FW 11/10/10.

I've also disconnected the Midnite SPD and haven't noticed the problem since, but also the clouds just rolled in, so it could turn into a waiting game to try and diagnose.

Any suggestions?

I hate gremlins.  Truth is, I'm usually the only gremlin on this site.

What is your series panel voltage and what voltage SPD do you have on the output of your array?  Have you put a current meter on the SPD to see if it is conducting?

North of 56

Series panel voltage is between 85 and 100 volts usually. I have strings of (3) 24 volt panels in series. The SPD is the Midnite 115 which has a MCOV of 180 volts. I also notice that the problem never seems to happen in the first few hours of the early morning, when panel voltages are typically higher. Always seems to occur later in the day when things are warm.

I haven't measured the SPD for current, but I did try disconnecting only the ground wire (while operating and I took personal precautions to avoid a shock, and not recommended for novices or the nervous!) and noticed sparking, on occasion when reconnecting the ground wire (to ground). Perhaps an indication that it temporarily does conduct.

Westbranch

you might find  something on a similar problem here.  I remember a problem(s) someone had with an early SN Classic.

http://midnitesolar.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=229.0
hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

Hi North,

I did post in that other Thread on wind-sun.

I had a very early Classic 150.  Received it in Dec 2010.

As noted elsewhere,  this FW DID have a PV Shading loop that it would get into,  at least on 48 V systems,  would drag down the PV in voltage,  and kinna get stuck there.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you upgrade your Classic and MNGP FirmWare.

There is nothing obviously beneficial  that you would loose with more recent FW.  I do believe that the FW that your Classic is running was the version in my Classic that had a very similar situation on my 48 V system.

What U got to loose?  Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

There is this Thread,  which notes a similar issue with 12 V Banks:

http://midnitesolar.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=606.0

FWIW,  BUT,  the suggested remedy was still  Update FW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Watt

Quote from: North of 56 on March 09, 2013, 05:14:29 PM
Series panel voltage is between 85 and 100 volts usually. I have strings of (3) 24 volt panels in series. The SPD is the Midnite 115 which has a MCOV of 180 volts. I also notice that the problem never seems to happen in the first few hours of the early morning, when panel voltages are typically higher. Always seems to occur later in the day when things are warm.

I haven't measured the SPD for current, but I did try disconnecting only the ground wire (while operating and I took personal precautions to avoid a shock, and not recommended for novices or the nervous!) and noticed sparking, on occasion when reconnecting the ground wire (to ground). Perhaps an indication that it temporarily does conduct.

I was going to mention that I had a 115v spd on my array combiner with upwards of 146voc.  The story as to why is a long one but an oversight nonetheless.  Anyway, I'd to recommend a FW update and go from there.  The spark you see is similar to mine when I monkey around with the SPD. haha

Halfcrazy

Yes definitely do a firmware update. The old code would at random times get stuck momentarily at the bottom of its sweep. Also just an FYI that number is not the firmware date. The firmware date is found by repeatedly pressing status.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

North of 56

Quote from: Vic on March 09, 2013, 07:37:05 PM
There is this Thread,  which notes a similar issue with 12 V Banks:

http://midnitesolar.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=606.0

FWIW,  BUT,  the suggested remedy was still  Update FW,   Vic

That explains it right there. I will be updating the FW this evening. Thanks so much for the replies!

boB

Sorry about that, North !

Please let us know if you have any problems updating.  We're on here during the weekend too, normally.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

North of 56

No problem Bob. I was successful with the FW update last evening. I'm doing another EQ this morning as I'm having a bit of an issue with my batteries, but otherwise will be back to normal. Thank you!