News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

What is it?

Started by onanparts, March 12, 2013, 04:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niel

ah a new challenge. i guess boB and robin and all the guys at midnite are disqualified from answering?

although i never saw the insides of any outback stuff and the pic is darkish i'll guess an mx60.

onanparts

Quote from: niel on April 14, 2013, 02:18:37 AM
ah a new challenge. i guess boB and robin and all the guys at midnite are disqualified from answering?

although i never saw the insides of any outback stuff and the pic is darkish i'll guess an mx60.

Not manufactured by Outback or any company owned/operated by bob/Robin. Heavy on the "indirectly connected" angle. Pic taken with a bright light on the backside of board. A better shot here.
I got the deluxe kit, it had a solar cell and a meter.

Midnite B17-10. 50kW Cont. 150kW Surge... Me/Myself/And/I

niel

ok i'm stumped as i could guess at the function, but i couldn't say what the make and model is off hand. one possibility may be an equalizer, but i'm not sold on even that. now it's hard to tell, but if it has many inputs as the arrows could indicate then it could be a mixer.

boB

I have stared at this PCB for a while but I do not know what it is.   I can only guess a few things.

It is single sided and uses what looks like XR 4136 quad or the XR dual op-amps ?  1970's or
1980's vintage audio product of some sort I would guess.  I definitely recognize those DPST
pushbutton switches though.  Alps ?

Internal power supply with power switch just left of center on the front panel.

Eight --8-- pushbutton switches on the front ?  Hmmm...  Audio pre-amp select switches ??

Phase linear or Carver pre-amp ?  Or, if not that indirectly related, I'm not sure.

This is a good one !  This is a great game !
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Quote from: boB on April 14, 2013, 03:01:05 AM
I have stared at this PCB for a while but I do not know what it is.   I can only guess a few things.

It is single sided and uses what looks like XR 4136 quad or the XR dual op-amps ?  1970's or
1980's vintage audio product of some sort I would guess.  I definitely recognize those DPST
pushbutton switches though.  Alps ?

Internal power supply with power switch just left of center on the front panel.

Eight --8-- pushbutton switches on the front ?  Hmmm...  Audio pre-amp select switches ??

Phase linear or Carver pre-amp ?  Or, if not that indirectly related, I'm not sure.

This is a good one !  This is a great game !
boB

Dang! boB you are GOOD! Now that you have correctly identified a Pre-amp made by the "other" Bob, extra credit if you determine the model.

boB

Quote from: onanparts on April 14, 2013, 03:05:09 AM

Dang! boB you are GOOD! Now that you have correctly identified a Pre-amp made by the "other" Bob, extra credit if you determine the model.

OK, wild guess.  I would have to lean in the direction of slightly newer than phase linear so that would
be Carver Corporation.

I was not real familiar with Carver Corp. products except for the mag amp cube so I'll guess,  Holographic preamp ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Quote from: boB on April 14, 2013, 03:43:47 AM
Quote from: onanparts on April 14, 2013, 03:05:09 AM

OK, wild guess.  I would have to lean in the direction of slightly newer than phase linear so that would
be Carver Corporation.

I was not real familiar with Carver Corp. products except for the mag amp cube so I'll guess,  Holographic preamp ?

boB

Ka-Ching!!!!!

boB nails it. Carver C-1 Holographic preamp.  8)

boB

Quote from: onanparts on April 14, 2013, 03:59:46 AM

Ka-Ching!!!!!

WoW !!  I am VERY surprised I could whiddle it down to that particular product !
Just like hypnosis or something. That was a VERY lucky guess !  And, it looks
like that board was upside down with the knobs on top ?

Whoa ...!

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Quote from: boB on April 14, 2013, 04:53:21 AM
Quote from: onanparts on April 14, 2013, 03:59:46 AM

Ka-Ching!!!!!

WoW !!  I am VERY surprised I could whiddle it down to that particular product !
Just like hypnosis or something. That was a VERY lucky guess !  And, it looks
like that board was upside down with the knobs on top ?

Whoa ...!

boB

Must be some kind of channeling? My C-1 is at this time driving a SA 500-SR.  8)

A few more close up pics of the C-1.

onanparts

And another...

onanparts

And again

onanparts

One more...

boB

I see a date code of 8337 so that was at least at the end of 1983 and maybe
1984 that unit was made.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

onanparts

Quote from: boB on April 14, 2013, 05:36:01 AM

I see a date code of 8337 so that was at least at the end of 1983 and maybe
1984 that unit was made.

Stereo Review did a write up on it back in January 1982 so that's about the right time frame.

cpm

Day-am!

That's exactly what I was going to guess,

and it would have been a guess, and it would have been based solely on the single sided board and switches.