Solar Users-Take a look at this Wall Street Journal Article

Started by Nashville, March 22, 2013, 01:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nashville

In theory, as long as you are not grid tied, and you do not exceed the rating of that line. Problem is, it is not a dedicated line. Some chinese grid tie inverters backfeed through standard outlets if they sense line voltage. Most certainly do not meet UL or NEC requirements.

Quote from: cpm on March 24, 2013, 08:14:22 AM
Quote from: Westbranch on March 23, 2013, 07:12:38 PM
If you are to go to all the trouble of getting the panels up, you may need to add an 'independent' wiring system to your house and to be able to use your Off Grid power. Back feeding can be/is dangerous. Safety first!

How is it different to 'backfeed' via an existing circuit vs via a dedicated breaker?

Same same.

Curious what you are saying here.

Aside from using an outdoor utility circuit, which -by code- must be through a CGCI, tying the inverter in through a same load rated breaker positioned correctly is electrically identical.

Unless I'm missing some subtle aspect.

Or,

I can just cave, accept that the pro-regulation folks are right, and haul all my RE stuff to the dump and scrap it, though most of it is brand new and cost me a pile of money over the years. Since I can't afford the permits, , it's no good to me at all.

TomW

Quote from: Nashville on March 24, 2013, 08:21:30 AM

Hi Tom,
I thought I read somewhere that this unit has a serious electrical flaw. I just don't remember what it was. I will try to find what I read. Yeah, redneck backfeeding could kill a lineman if wire incorrectly. Amazing the setups that I have seen, like backfeeding the clothes drier outlet.

Nash;

First I have heard of that.

Unless the switches fail, it seems a safe set up.

Basically each switch connects to the inverter with one wire, the breaker for the circuit it feeds with another and the 3rd wire feeds the circuit to the wire that used to come from the breaker in the panel. It switches between grid and inverter on just the hot line.

I suppose the really good ones are double pole and switch the neutral, also like my big Square D 60 amp single circuit main transfer switches which actually switch 3 wires.

I am no electrician so do not mistake me for any kind of expert.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies