Three Phase wind and SPD's

Started by Trevorsolar, April 06, 2013, 09:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trevorsolar

Hi Midnite. Can you please explain the wiring connections for a 3 phase wind turbine and your SPD's.
Many turbines have the rectifers at the controller and not up in the turbine head. Where and how is the best place to install the SPD's ?
How do you select the best SPD to suit the turbine?

Halfcrazy

Trevor
On 3 phase AC we typically use 2 or even 3 SPD's. Think of a single SPD as a 2 channel device so we need at least 3 channels. I prefer 3 SPD's on the 3 phase coming in from the tower for maximum protection. If Lightning is a real concern and you are in a very prone area I would even go as far as 3 at the base of the tower and 3 in the power room.

Here is a link to my 3 phase wiring diagram: http://kb1uas.com/MidNite/3%20Phase%20SPD%20wiring.pdf

As far as picking the correct one, this depends on the turbine and system. A Bergey XL1 3 phase uses a Classic250 to charge batteries so its max VOC is 300vdc so we would use SPD300's Now say it was a Bergey 5kw grid tie it can run up to 550vdc so we would use the SPD600's.

So what I would suggest is to size the SPD according to the charge controller or inverter the wind turbine is feeding.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time