News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

24-volt stuff

Started by Vern Faulkner, April 20, 2013, 11:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vern Faulkner

I am trying to spec 24-volt inverters... I need a pure sine unit with very low search power consumption. Ideally, a 24-volt version of the 300 watt Morningstar sure sine.... It seems only a 1800 watt Xantrex is close, but I don't need that much ooomph.

Westbranch

check these out http://www.cotek.com.tw/product/ , you may find one that fits your needs.
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

vtmaps

Quote from: Vern Faulkner on April 20, 2013, 11:40:14 AM
I am trying to spec 24-volt inverters... I need a pure sine unit with very low search power consumption. Ideally, a 24-volt version of the 300 watt Morningstar sure sine.... It seems only a 1800 watt Xantrex is close, but I don't need that much ooomph.

If it needs to be hard wired and UL listed, check out the exeltech inverters.  If not, look at the Victron Phoenix inverters which are listed for marine use and have spectacularly low power draws.

--vtMaps

Photowhit

I'll second Vtmaps, but check that they have the correct UL listing for homes, I've never seen which UL listing they have but make the assumption that since they can be hard wired and have provisions for conduit that they have UL1741 (Home use)
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

MyEnergy

Radian, VFX3648, MNSPD-300, Classic 250, MNPV6HV

Vern Faulkner

Quote from: MyEnergy on May 15, 2013, 10:39:17 AM
Check out - http://www.outbackpower.com/pdf/specs/GFX_Intl_Series_SpecSheetA4_02.2012_lr.pdf - for another quality, low draw, non-UL listed option.
That idle power - 6 w at search - constitutes 144 w/hr per day. I'm leaning to the Xantrex 1800 inverter - it's got about 2w search draw IIRC.

dgd

The inverter will not be in idle mode all day, will it? So the idle power consumption per day will be much lower as you will be using the inverter  ???

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Vern Faulkner

Quote from: dgd on May 18, 2013, 06:45:10 AM
The inverter will not be in idle mode all day, will it? So the idle power consumption per day will be much lower as you will be using the inverter  ???

Dgd

Not as we've envisioned it, actually. All appliances (water pump, fridge, freezer) will be direct 24-volt powered. The only thing the inverter will power are a few spot lights (the rest will be 24-volt LED) and occasional things like crockpots, blenders, and so on.

Photowhit

Quote from: Vern Faulkner on May 18, 2013, 08:36:46 AMThe only thing the inverter will power are a few spot lights (the rest will be 24-volt LED) and occasional things like crockpots, blenders, and so on.

Be careful of ghost loads, lights on motion sensors have a draw, that LED on you surge protector has a draw, I just was checking things out, my toaster oven, with NO LED panel draws 1.7 watts! My induction hot plate has a draw when off...

Nice to check everything with a Kil-A-Watt meter, but even then be careful, My LED lit TV draws such a small amount while 'off and waiting' that it doesn't register on the meter.
Home system 20 - 200watt Evergreen, E-Panel, 2-Classic Lite 150s up and running and 14 Suntech 185watt panels, and another Classic Lite in a dark room. Cabin system 8-115watt 12V, 6 - 170-5watt 24v, Pulse/Trace PC250 Power Center, 800AH 24V forklift Batt, ProSine 1800 watt (24v) inverter.

Vern Faulkner

Quote from: Photowhit on May 29, 2013, 10:30:47 PM
Be careful of ghost loads, lights on motion sensors have a draw, that LED on you surge protector has a draw, I just was checking things out, my toaster oven, with NO LED panel draws 1.7 watts! My induction hot plate has a draw when off...

Fully aware of such things. Motion sensor lights will be self-contained solar-power things. Rechargers, etc., will all be on a switched outlet, etc. etc.

zoneblue

Like you our house is 24VDC for lighting, fridge and computers.

Ive found the search mode in our case to be almost ZERO use. As mentioned above all sorts of stuff draws power, to the point that you spend half your day going round trying to figure out whats keeping the damn invertor on. I got tired of it and went with the remote on switch mounted in the house.

I switch it on to do a laod of laundry, use the blender, power tools etc, then turn it off. Works.

PS. One appliance i am having difficulty running off DC is the cordless phone. Ive tried several different switching power supplies for it, but all i get is a buzz and crackle. Its a panasonic, with 6.5VDC plugpack.

BTW if you really want to see what you are doing using dc powered leds check out my write up here:
http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=led-lighting
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

Quote from: zoneblue on June 11, 2013, 08:54:12 PM

BTW if you really want to see what you are doing using dc powered leds check out my write up here:
http://zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=led-lighting

I hear ya about running around figuring out what's keeping the inverter running ?
The outback FX has a mode where you can adjust its search mode to keep things
like clocks running but still keep it in search.

Hey !  You've got some beautiful hiking places down there !  GREAT pictures !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vern Faulkner

Quote from: zoneblue on June 11, 2013, 08:54:12 PM
PS. One appliance i am having difficulty running off DC is the cordless phone. Ive tried several different switching power supplies for it, but all i get is a buzz and crackle. Its a panasonic, with 6.5VDC plugpack.

Our solution to that is old-school. Corded phones, in different locations.

dhsola

We used a 12 volt DC Isolator from Backwoods Solar for the cordless phone. Got rid of the buzzzzzz
Model# SH12-670