Tried Updating Classic 150 now I have a blue blank readout

Started by mtfalk64, May 05, 2013, 02:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtfalk64

I have a Classic 150.  Tried updating with new firmware 4/8/13.  would start then fail after about 1 to 7% .  Now I have a blue screen and its not updated.  I tried doing a factory reset (Left and right) arrow while starting up Classic 150 with no success.  Tried updating with laptop with XP and also with window 7 

Thanks for helping

boB

I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Can you try another mini USB cable ?   The ones that we send are a bit
long, especially the older ones.   Try one from another USB device like
for a camera or something like that.

Please let us know if that helps or not.
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mtfalk64

I will try a shorter usb.  my worries is that i only have a blank blue display even if I just turn on the 150.  any ideas?

Mike

boB

Quote from: mtfalk64 on May 05, 2013, 07:59:49 PM
I will try a shorter usb.  my worries is that i only have a blank blue display even if I just turn on the 150.  any ideas?

Mike

Yes.   This will happen if the update only partially runs.  When it stops above 0% but less than
100%, it will need to be updated again.  No harm to anything except that you can't
use the MNGP until it gets fully updated.

Try again but if it just doesn't go, let us know and we'll fix you up.

Sometimes you have to try it a few times.  Windows 7 seems especially prone
to this but that cable is most likely the problem if it started updating at all, as
it seems is happening to you.

Ryan also found that a noisy inverter that was on while he was updating interfered
with an update and when he turned it off, the update went flawlessly.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Basically what happens is when the percentage starts to count the first thing it does is erase the firmware before redoing the firmware. So like boB said if you can get it to go through all is well. Just try a few times. If no joy call or email us Monday and we will help you out.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mtfalk64

Both you guys.......TOP NOTCH!!!  Thanks again.  Everything worked out.  Updated after I used a shorter cable.  You were correct, and the very long usb that came with the unit is in the trash.  Now as long as my memory keeps from leaking out, I will grab the short usb cable from camera and not spend hours looking for the original that is in the trash.  LOL

Thanks again

Mike

boB

Great Mike !   Glad it finally worked !

I wonder though it the cable you got was the older but longer cable we used to ship or if
it is the shorter one we ship now ?  I think the one we ship now with Classics is still too
long but should work better.   If your Classic is serial number less than maybe 4000 or 5000,
it might have the longer cable.  I'm not sure when exactly we changed.

Really glad it finally programmed though !!

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mtfalk64

They are super long, without taping it.  It had to be a 10 footer, even folded in half it was almost as long as me and I'm 5'7".  Mine is CL01163 and my cousins is CL01678.  I believe that is the serial number on the left side looking at the front of the units.  Now I know why I was cussing so much every time I tried to update.  Sometimes it was easy as eating pie and other times I wanted to kick the dog. 

Well I put my cousins in the trash, as soon as I find mine, it is going to go into the trash as well.  Just can't forget to take a shorter one with me to the cousins house.  6 hour round trip really sucks when you don't have the correct cable.

Mike

boB

>>>>Mine is CL01163 and my cousins is CL01678<<<<

Yes, that explains it.  We were shipping the LoooooooooonG  USB cables back then.

Please don't kick the dog though !

Glad it's working now.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Mike
Give me a PM with your address and I will send out a couple of the new improved cables. Also where in Maine are you? Heck maybe I can buy ya a coffee and hand you a couple cables?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time