New VAWT needs MPPT with Anemometer logging, can Aux 2 be used for that yet?

Started by Drew Rokeby-Thomas, May 14, 2013, 09:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Rokeby-Thomas

Hello,

I am new here and glad to have found the MidNite products!   Seems like very user friendly stuff.   I'm setting up the new version of my VAWT, and thinking the MidNite Classic, with it's user programable MPPT seems like it might be perfect.    I've got a 72 magnetic pole alternator with 108 coils, ( 1.3 m dia, large to maximize magnet over coil speed and number of magnets).   It's set up so I can wire it for different V outputs, from 12, to about 150.   I'm wondering if anyone has used the aux port for Anemometer logging?   Is there official support for it, if you have gotten it to work?

I am on the slow side with electronics, but have some friends who are much quicker than I to help me set it up.

here's a youtube video of an older but still beautiful version,

http://youtu.be/wX6a2Iq1w_I

and here's my pitch to the fast company design contest with video of the newest version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7PS4KwGvZ0

boB

That is the prettiest VAWT I have ever seen !!  (first video).

Love that video !   Funny too !

No Anemometer hookup quite yet.  Pretty Soon though !
(This year anyway I hope )

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Drew Rokeby-Thomas

Thanks boB, it's more than just a pretty spinner though.   It's the first high solidity turbine to have a TSR greater than 1, and it's maximum power occurs at 1.3 with a Cp of .3 (shaft power).   The SWCC certifies the Bergy at 3. electrical, so it's doing quite well.   Those numbers are from the 8ft version, I'm working on getting numbers from the new 16ft, and have worked hard to integrate the alternator.   It's added a lot of weight, almost 50- 70%, as I used 140lbs of ceramic, instead of neo's.   Without the alt it would start up in very low winds, at about the same time as the anemometer, so around 5km/hr.   With the magnet array on it, it seems to be starting at 10km/hr, so that's not tooo bad.    Not being an electronics guy, the alt has been as much work as the turbine! but sooon I'll have some more of the kinks sorted out.