What wireles bridge works with the Classic?

Started by Halfcrazy, March 04, 2011, 09:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

I will be adding post's here as the days and weeks go on and I get to test and write about the different brands.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Halfcrazy

Linksys by Cisco WET610N

This Wireless-N Gaming and Video adapter caught my attention. I have been running this one for a week and it works extremely well. I like the fact that it resolves its own issues with my wireless router it does not just stay disconnected.

Setup was the easiest of any I have worked with so far simply install the disc in your pc and follow a few instructions. The wireless range seems to be typical with other Linksys products which I do find to be better than other brands. This unit works with all wireless routers or access points that support Wireless-G,B,A or N. It will run on 2.4Ghz or 5ghz and does allow security and encryption.

While a little pricey ($93 at Walmart) I have to give it a good rank do to the ease of setup. Here is a link to the product http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WET610N

[attachment deleted by admin]

Halfcrazy

TRENDnet TEW-654TR Wireless N travel router kit

The Wireless N travel router kit by Trendnet worked but it would on occasion loose communications with my wireless router for whatever reason and would be unable to resolve this without being power cycled. I did run this model for about a week and had to cycle the power 2 times to get it to communicate again. To be fair I only tested one so maybe it is the particular part not a flaw?

Setup was a bit of work as this unit is designed to be a bridge or router etc and you needed to set a switch on the unit than program it. I would say it had the typical range you would expect from any similar wireless device. This unit works with all routers and wireless access points and is compatible with Wireless-N,G and B. It runs on 2.4ghz and does allow security and encryption.

This unit runs around $49 at different retailers. I have to rank this unit fairly low for this task do to the need to reset it manually. Here is a link to the product http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=175_TEW-654TR&cat=41

Halfcrazy

D-LINK DWL-G730AP Wireless pocket router / AP

The Wireless pocket router/AP made by D-Link was identical to the previous model by TRENDnet except for one difference. The instructions with the D-Link where not as good and using them I was unable to get the D-Link to work. I did however get it to run using the TRENDnet instructions ??? This unit did loose communications once but I did not run it very long do to the problematic setup routine.

This unit runs around $47 dollars at different retailers. I have to rank this unit neer the bottom of my list do to the poor instructions. Here is a link to the product http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346

tallgirl

Quote from: Halfcrazy on March 04, 2011, 10:26:15 AM
TRENDnet TEW-654TR Wireless N travel router kit

The Wireless N travel router kit by Trendnet worked but it would on occasion loose communications with my wireless router for whatever reason and would be unable to resolve this without being power cycled. I did run this model for about a week and had to cycle the power 2 times to get it to communicate again. To be fair I only tested one so maybe it is the particular part not a flaw?

It's not a flaw.  I'll leave it at that ;)

boB

Quote from: tallgirl on March 14, 2011, 07:05:08 AM
It's not a flaw.  I'll leave it at that ;)

Maybe they talk about this feature in the manual ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Drew

I'm using the EDIMAX EW-7228APn Wireless Range Extender / Access Point with 5 Port Switch which I got at Newegg.com (link below). It works with our Classic 150 but was very difficult to get up and running. Their manual is not great but if you are patient and very familiar with computer networking you should be alright.

Once up and running it ran flawlessly for about two weeks then lost connection and had to be power cycled to re-establish  connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315097

boB

Quote from: Drew on December 06, 2011, 11:29:48 AM
I'm using the EDIMAX EW-7228APn Wireless Range Extender / Access Point with 5 Port Switch which I got at Newegg.com (link below). It works with our Classic 150 but was very difficult to get up and running. Their manual is not great but if you are patient and very familiar with computer networking you should be alright.

Once up and running it ran flawlessly for about two weeks then lost connection and had to be power cycled to re-establish  connection.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315097

Drew, thanks for that link !!

So, this wireless bridge is about $10 cheaper than what we are using here at MidNite which are D-Links I think.
What were the issues that made it difficult to set up ??  If you can give some hints, it might make life easier for
some wanting to use that bridge.

Thanks !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

aprsworld

The Ubiquiti stuff works great. I have personally used the Picostation and AirGridM series.

windpro

Years of working with and supporting Wireless Access Points (WAPs) has indeed proved that the firmware version is critical to successful repeat connections.  When listing the models, please also include the firmware version.

For those of you having issues with WAPs intermittent connectivity... may I suggest a firmware upgrade that can be found on the manufacturers website.  Other settings may also be creating a timeout condition, causing a disconnect. 

Out of curiosity what type of wireless module (A, B, G, N) and what type of encryption options has been built into the Classic?

dgd

Cisco Linksys WET54G and Level OneWAP-0003 bridges both work good with Classic. Both have 5v power. Now been wondering if that client type USB connector on Classic has power connections like normal host type USB socket. Anyone tried powering a bridge from this or one of those telco sockets the mngp plugs into?
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

philb

I'm looking for a router to connect between three classics and an Outback hub with two VFX3524's and OB's programming box. So far, Linksys EA2700 looks like a candidate. Has anyone tried this unit?
system one
7100 watts solar
 3 Classic 200's, Midnite battery monitor  Outback VFX 3524, 2 new forklift batteries

system two
1880 watts solar, classic 200, Outback VFX 3524
24 6 volt GC-2 cart batteries

dgd

Quote from: philb on November 11, 2012, 10:32:22 PM
I'm looking for a router to connect between three classics and an Outback hub with two VFX3524's and OB's programming box. So far, Linksys EA2700 looks like a candidate. Has anyone tried this unit?

The ea2700 according to cisco is a smart wifi router. If your classics and OB bits are all in the same location then do you just not need to use an ethernet  hub to link them together in the same network?
A router only becomes necessary to connect separate networks eg internet connection. But maybe thats what you want to do  :)
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

Halfcrazy

Quote from: dgd on July 19, 2012, 01:23:12 PM
Cisco Linksys WET54G and Level OneWAP-0003 bridges both work good with Classic. Both have 5v power. Now been wondering if that client type USB connector on Classic has power connections like normal host type USB socket. Anyone tried powering a bridge from this or one of those telco sockets the mngp plugs into?

The Classics USB is non powered. You can turn Aux 1 to manual on and get around 12vdc at 200ma max

Ryan

dgd

Quote from: Halfcrazy on November 13, 2012, 07:32:55 PM
Quote from: dgd on July 19, 2012, 01:23:12 PM

The Classics USB is non powered. You can turn Aux 1 to manual on and get around 12vdc at 200ma max

Ryan

Yes, I discovered that a while ago  :)  boB pointed me to the 9v at one of those 3 telco connectors.  However since then I have used a DC to DC convertor to get 5V for the WET, a 5 port ethernet hub, a raspberry pi that extracts logging info from my two 150s, and my home made logic board that detects over voltage, dead 150, wastenot from150 and wakens the crydom 3phase relay ... sorry for ranting on, I was on a roll  8)
I keep looking for the updated modbus spec/list, are you the person for that? .. thanks
dgd