my Classic says GOT COMM? on the screen.

Started by Halfcrazy, March 05, 2011, 11:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

This message is telling you that the MNGP "Display" is not able to communicate with the Classic. The most common cause of this would be that the address the MNGP is looking at got changed to one that is not on the network. When at the Home screen or main status screen there will be a word in the middle at the top. On a single Classic this should say Classic if it does not say this then you need to use the up and down arrows to find Classic. The MNGP should regain communications when this is set correctly.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

WindFarmer

Halfcrazy.....I use a MNGP to set up and change parameters on a couple of Classic Lites I have installed for 2 of my of customers..... when I plug it into the classic Lites (after powering down) I am getting a "Got Comm? message on the MNGP with a "01" instead of "Classic" in the upper middle portion of the MNGP.....there are no battery voltage or pv voltage showing (00).....I used the up arrow and down arrows  on the MNGP but did not change.....any thoughts?

Halfcrazy

Hm so are you saying there is physically no PV or battery power to the classic and the MNGP is still lighting up? Are the Classics networked to each other in follow me?

Ryan

WindFarmer

there is physically batt and pv power to the classic but it shows "0" volts........2 different Classic Lites.....no networking.

Halfcrazy

Ah ok. So you say it says 01 instead of classic. Sounds like it got off the address somehow. Try holding the left arrow and tapping the up arrow until you get to 10 and see if it fixes the issue.

Ryan

WindFarmer

Ryan
That worked.....This happened on both of the Classic Lites...I hooked up the same MNGP to my Regular Classic at home and it displayed everything I would expect it to.....I'm sorry I failed to mention that I had just uploaded firmware 1370 to the 2 blind Classics (without the MNGP attached)...could this have been the cause? Thanks for the help.

Muskoka

Need to bring this thread back to life. I'm seeing this "Got Comm?" message on my display every once and a while as well. It's only there for a second and goes away. Things seem to be working fine, just curious why it's happening? Firmwares are all the latest.

I installed the MNGP a few months ago on a Lite 150 I've had in service for a few years. The name in the middle of the display is "Lite".

Glen
Off grid - 24v System - Eco Worthy LiFePO4 12V 280ah x2 - Classic Lite 150 with MNGP wBjr - 1540w solar -  12v System - Antra Power 12v 210ah LiFePO4 - Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 - 820w Solar - Honda / Firman generators

Resthome

I've see it come momentarily also but since it goes back to normal just suspect it is a timing issue of some sort.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Muskoka

I was just wondering if it "might" be related in some way to the "network" communication issues some have, me included. I was just away from my system for a few days, and was unable to access the Classic remotely, after probably a 24hr period. I had to come home and physically power off, power on, for it to communicate again on my network. Maybe this "Got Comm?"is not related in any way, just throwing it out there.

From what I'm reading, the "Got Comm?" message is referring to MNGP to Classic, but perhaps it's affecting network connectivity as well?

Glen
Off grid - 24v System - Eco Worthy LiFePO4 12V 280ah x2 - Classic Lite 150 with MNGP wBjr - 1540w solar -  12v System - Antra Power 12v 210ah LiFePO4 - Morningstar Tristar MPPT 60 - 820w Solar - Honda / Firman generators

Resthome

Quote from: Muskoka on January 03, 2015, 10:15:01 AM
I was just wondering if it "might" be related in some way to the "network" communication issues some have, me included. I was just away from my system for a few days, and was unable to access the Classic remotely, after probably a 24hr period. I had to come home and physically power off, power on, for it to communicate again on my network. Maybe this "Got Comm?"is not related in any way, just throwing it out there.

From what I'm reading, the "Got Comm?" message is referring to MNGP to Classic, but perhaps it's affecting network connectivity as well?

Glen

Glen,

In the world of software & hardware I guess anything is possible. However, it's my guess that the Ethernet issue is separate although it may be a timing issue of sorts because we know from others that have researched this if the Classic is asked  to dump data too fast it stops communicating. Some of the folks working on blackbox data access have run across this.

I'm sure Ryan has the correct info on the "Got Com ?" display and that it is between the Classic and the MNGP. Since even the Classic Lite without the MNGP communicate by Ethernet to the Local App and MyMidnite. I think the MNGP can be ruled out of the Ethernet communication issue. For the local app it could come down to the fact that it was written with Adobe Air and maybe the Adobe Air Network code is not robust enough for real time applications. Although, I used Wireshark to capture the Network communication a while back with older firmware and at that time the Local App sent out it's request and it was the Classic that did not respond back. The big question is WHY? And why in some cases does it require a Classic reboot to get it working again.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

boB

The "Got Comm ?" message is separate from the Ethernet issue....  However, the Got Comm messages should be lessened in
this new beta code, among some other changes.

http://fusion.midnitesolar.com/MidNiteSolarUpdate_1923_12-18-2014_v4.60.exe

Try it if you like to.  Update the MNGP too, or maybe just the MNGP code for the Got Comm message.
boB

Here is a list of changes from the Readme-Changes.txt file...

12-18-2014
   Classic build 1923
   Lifetime kW-Hours and Lifetime Amp-Hours will now accumulate and
   not be limited to just 16 bits worth. (long time bug) 65535

Aux 1 SOC% output will now remember On/Off state through an auto-restart    cycle

Whizbang Junior accumulations will save periodically throughout the day to    non-volatile memory every 90 minutes

Classic will go to Resting for 8 seconds when MPPT mode and power output    stays below 50 watts for 15 minutes in Legacy, Hydro or Dynamic tracking    mode if Insomnia is On.  (night charging sanity check)

Removed VariMax Absorb mode

MNGP build 1922
   Added menu  LIMITS---MORE--- High battery temperature charger shut off

Fixed Daily Hi-Power graphs log numerical readout.  Was only
   showing 3 digits

Increased time required to show "Got Comm ?" message by 2 seconds
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

wrt

Might be unrelated, but my Classic had the message Got comm ? Displayed on the screen yesterday when I first discovered it had overheated and had shorted unregulated panel output to the battery, pumping it up to ~74v (48v system) and causing permanent damage.

This disappeared when it cooled down. Maybe this is a sign of yours approaching that point, then the fans saving it, check FET temps when this happens again.
"Virtual tracker" configured 5.7kw solar array. Midnite classic charge controller. 400ah @48v LiFePo4 battery. 3548 Latronics inverter.

boB

Quote from: wrt on January 03, 2015, 11:54:28 PM
Might be unrelated, but my Classic had the message Got comm ? Displayed on the screen yesterday when I first discovered it had overheated and had shorted unregulated panel output to the battery, pumping it up to ~74v (48v system) and causing permanent damage.

This disappeared when it cooled down. Maybe this is a sign of yours approaching that point, then the fans saving it, check FET temps when this happens again.

The Classic itself may have crashed and then it was reset or re-powered ?   That may have brought communications back to life.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mike90045

Quote from: Resthome on January 03, 2015, 01:10:27 AM
I've see it come momentarily also but since it goes back to normal just suspect it is a timing issue of some sort.

Well, that's 2 of us that see it briefly and it resolves on it's own.   Another posting for other issues later.
(and I was looking at it with the local app 2 feet away, and saw the blink on the MNGP)
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

janoy876

Quote from: Halfcrazy on March 05, 2011, 11:18:38 AM
This message is telling you that the MNGP "Display" is not able to communicate with the Classic. The most common cause of this would be that the address the MNGP is looking at got changed to one that is not on the network. When at the Home screen or main status screen there will be a word in the middle at the top. On a single Classic this should say Classic if it does not say this then you need to use the up and down arrows to find Classic. The MNGP should regain communications when this is set correctly.
am having the same issue with my midnite classic 200 4 days now i notice it . any solution would be deeply appreciated  screen shot is below