dump load water heater

Started by mahendra, July 07, 2013, 08:07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahendra

hi i have read that an ac (120/240 vac) water heater can be used on the classic as a dump load. is this true if yes how can it be done.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

TomW

Quote from: mahendra on July 07, 2013, 08:07:18 PM
hi i have read that an ac (120/240 vac) water heater can be used on the classic as a dump load. is this true if yes how can it be done.

Yes, several of us have / are doing this.

You can simply drive a solid state relay with AUX1 to control the AC to the water heater.

I actually used a relay on mine switching on at a high voltage and off at a low voltage set point.

Look up posts by Chris Olson he posted extensively on the subject.

Good luck with it.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Yep I will echo what Tom said. I am doing the same thing here with a 40 gallon water heater and a solid state relay driven from Aux1 on the Classic.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

ananthapriya

I am considering using a 50gal water heater as a dump load for my PV and wind turbine. The wind turbine must have a load on it at all times. The combined PV and turbine could be 40A at 48V nominal. I was going to use a Tristar controller as the dump load controller. One of the elements in the water heater would be replaced with a 48V element. The wind turbine has a controller with dump load and will use that as a failsafe.