aux 2 relay

Started by mahendra, July 27, 2013, 12:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahendra

hi quick questions what range of voltage can relays be so that they can operate from the aux 2 ? is the battery bank voltage influence  the voltage of the relay that shoudl be used?
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

boB

The Aux outputs, both 1 and 2 actually put put around 14.5 volts DC.

This supply, 200 mA maximum current comes from an internal auxiliary power
supply that is independent of battery voltage.

Choose your weapon !  I mean, fan.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

The output voltage for the Aux ports is 12 V nominal,  regardless of battery voltage.  There is approximately 0.2 Amps available,  as I recall,  so this should work fine for many 12 VDC mechanical relays,  as well as most Solid State Relays.

If you are planning to use a mechanical relay,  it is a good idea to place a 1 amp 100 volt (or so) power diode across the relay coil,  with the diode's cathode on the positive Aux output terminal.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

mahendra

thanks that was bothering me.so i must only get 12v nominal relays to work with either correct?
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Halfcrazy

Correct. If you plan to use it on Aux2 though you will want a solid state relay as Aux2 PWM's the relay.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

Quote from: Halfcrazy on July 27, 2013, 04:43:11 PM
Correct. If you plan to use it on Aux2 though you will want a solid state relay as Aux2 PWM's the relay.

Ryan

Yes, that's right.  For diversion and clipping etc, it can PWM at around 500 Hz and relays will pretty much just
buzz at that frequency.  Will eventually get Aux 2 to be able to do the slow PWM lilke Aux 1 does
and Aux 1 to do the higher frequency PWM like Aux 2 does.  Just more menus and choices.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

> Will eventually get Aux 2 to be able to do the slow PWM lilke Aux 1 does
> and Aux 1 to do the higher frequency PWM like Aux 2 does.
> Just more menus and choices.

Well Bob, with the battery shunt monitor coming out soon (hint hint), that will occupy Aux2. And so,  under the present aux layout, prevent  PWM hot water diversion, right? So good reasons to add aux choices there.

On the hint, hint, we need that shunt monitor! Dont worry about completing elaborate firmware for it yet, all we  need is a register populated with the battery current reading. And on the subject how do the current readings cope with pulsey waveforms, ie True RMS, or some approximation?
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

Quote from: zoneblue on July 28, 2013, 12:36:56 AM
> Will eventually get Aux 2 to be able to do the slow PWM lilke Aux 1 does
> and Aux 1 to do the higher frequency PWM like Aux 2 does.
> Just more menus and choices.

Well Bob, with the battery shunt monitor coming out soon (hint hint), that will occupy Aux2. And so,  under the present aux layout, prevent  PWM hot water diversion, right? So good reasons to add aux choices there.

On the hint, hint, we need that shunt monitor! Dont worry about completing elaborate firmware for it yet, all we  need is a register populated with the battery current reading. And on the subject how do the current readings cope with pulsey waveforms, ie True RMS, or some approximation?

Got the hint !

Just low pass filtered...  Average.  DC.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me