May/13 Prod firmware observations

Started by laszlo, July 31, 2013, 06:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laszlo

Uploaded May 2013 Prod firmware.

I am mostly happy, and especially  on account of the the amphour counter added,  it's great!

Salient issues I encountered are:

1. At rescan intervals, it completely turns off  output to battery  when it is doing a full scan. These "dark" periods  last about 5 seconds.  It's mostly annoying,  I see on MNGP "Sleeping lo light " but in fact it's 105 degrees and full sun. Same behaviour in the u-pick mode while it's getting the VOC. This was NOT the case with the older firmware - I think I used Jun 2011.

2. Forces PV voltage about 4 volts above battery voltage no matter what and regardless of which charging  mode I'm in. The old firmware would allow PV voltage to coast very close to battery voltage, increasing charger efficiency in my case because of my solar panel's IV curve.  Perhaps what would be best is to allow the user to program this value -- let's call it "input/output voltage offset".  It used to be that you could lower the PV array voltage by pushing  the  "down arrow" button on the MNGP but this also does not work anymore.

If there is still room in the flash, would you be able  to add / re-add these features?

Thanks!

Laszlo

4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

Halfcrazy

Laszlo
Did you do a factory restore after the firmware update? It almost sounds like the bugs that show from the update with no restore?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

laszlo

Ryan,

No I did not do a factory restore  and would be glad to try that, but will that erase my logs and other tweaks?

Does it still work for you to lower PV voltage momentarily with the DOWN arrow on MNGP?

4.6KW offgrid PV system, Classic 200, MX60, dual Magnum PAE 4448 inverters, Midnite combiner and disconnect boxes, e-panel,  WBJr, and 8 MN SPDs

laszlo

Good catch, Ryan! I went ahead and did  a factory restore last night and the symptoms I described above disappeared.

Halfcrazy

That is great. Glad that fixed it.

Ryan

zoneblue

So is this a good time to ask again what do lite owners do?

Ive seen similar mini sleeps here, but assumed it was normal.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

Halfcrazy

ZoneBlue and any others with this bug please Email me ryan at midnitesolar dot com and I will help fix this.

Ryan

boB

Quote from: zoneblue on August 04, 2013, 08:45:54 PM
So is this a good time to ask again what do lite owners do?

Turns out that is a great question.

We'll have a fix for that real soon now.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

laszlo

I had no idea this mini-sleep may be also observed with MN-lite's as well.  FYI, since the clearing of the configs, my Classic is doing well.