Battery Negative and DC ground

Started by David, November 10, 2013, 10:13:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

1) Can someone give a clear answer on whether or not the battery negative bus should also be connected to the DC ground bus? 

2) Should I separate the negative battery bus and DC ground bus on an existing older system?

From my understanding you can not use Ground Fault Protection for your PV array if your battery negative bus and DC ground bus are connected.  But because GFP is now required for PV arrays you can not have the negative battery bus and DC ground bus connected at any point in your system.  I also see that all the Midnite Epanel wiring diagrams show them separate.

My confusion stems from all the manuals I have that say the negative battery bus and ground bus should be bonded.  Most recently my Kestrel turbine manual states the battery negative should be connected to ground close to the battery bank. 

vtmaps

The battery negative should be grounded.  Period. 

A GFP creates a bond between battery neg and ground.  That's all well and good.  The problem with GFP is that when it trips it breaks the bond.  Overall, the GFP probably causes more problems than it cures.  Many of the smartest folks here remove their GFP, but they won't advise you to do so because of liability.

--vtMaps

David

Thanks vtMaps.  I have also since found this previous thread that goes into more details:
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1374.msg11065