News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

possible battery overcharging condition

Started by pao2, November 16, 2013, 08:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pao2

My Midnite was set at: Absorb 58.8, Float 56.4, Eq 61.4.

for about the last 10 days my max bat voltage recorded by the local midnite app. is between 59 and 60.4. I am concerned with overcharging issues.

I reset the charger to: Absorb 58, Float 56, EQ has not been activated.
The high voltage for yesterday was up to 59.2. Any thoughts about what might be going on?
System has been running for almost 3 months without this happening.
Attached is an excel spreadsheet showing data.
thanks much.
phil

Halfcrazy

Phil
What is the battery temp? Realize for every degree below 25c the Classic will raise the voltage by .12vdc so if they where say at 15C the Classic would elevate the voltage by 1.2vdc this is normal because a cold battery needs a higher voltage to get charged.

Go to the Menu and scroll to Temp and hit Enter. See what it says for battery temperature?

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

pao2

Ryan,
thanks for feedback.
Since i'm also running a battery monitor from Magnum, I was able to go back and compare voltages to historical battery temp. First observation is that higher bat voltages are linked to lower temperature changes. However, the data I have does not fully explain what's occurring. For example, the Magnum BMK monitor gives me daily high, low, and average historical data. My understanding of the Midnight Local application is that it's giving me the daily high bat. voltage. Since the high voltage naturally occurs during the charging cycle(daytime) and the lowest temp occurs during the night . the interesting challenge is to figure out what number to apply the .12 offset to. I decided on the average and it explains over half of the higher voltage. I've added the average daily bat. voltage to my spreadsheet and will continue to track against temp. changes. Do you think this is the best approach or would you recommend using something other than the average bat. temp.?
This off grid installation is an interesting learning experience. thanks again
phil

Resthome

Quote from: pao2 on November 18, 2013, 07:38:14 AM
Ryan,
thanks for feedback.
Since i'm also running a battery monitor from Magnum, I was able to go back and compare voltages to historical battery temp. First observation is that higher bat voltages are linked to lower temperature changes. However, the data I have does not fully explain what's occurring. For example, the Magnum BMK monitor gives me daily high, low, and average historical data. My understanding of the Midnight Local application is that it's giving me the daily high bat. voltage. Since the high voltage naturally occurs during the charging cycle(daytime) and the lowest temp occurs during the night . the interesting challenge is to figure out what number to apply the .12 offset to. I decided on the average and it explains over half of the higher voltage. I've added the average daily bat. voltage to my spreadsheet and will continue to track against temp. changes. Do you think this is the best approach or would you recommend using something other than the average bat. temp.?
This off grid installation is an interesting learning experience. thanks again
phil

Phil

If you use the Local App to export the hourly CVS data you can select to export Bat Temp along with the Bat Voltage every 2 seconds. Just select all options to graph and then export the data. Since they are synced in time you can calculated the actual temperature compensation to see if it matches your battery voltage when the Classic is in Absorb or Float (Constant Voltage Modes)
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

pao2

Thanks John,
i'll give it a try. good idea. i'd missed the fact that hourly battery data was available. will report back in a few days.

Resthome

Phil

Here is a spreadsheet of what you can export from the Local App. The only got you is that the Local App has to be on and connected to the Classic to collect this data. :o   Have fun!
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

pao2

John, I downloaded your spreadsheet and set my system up to collect all the same data. Thanks much.
phil