News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Whizbang in Magnum panel

Started by SolarMusher, December 07, 2013, 05:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SolarMusher

Hi all,
I would need to add a Whizbang in a Magnum panel (dual inverters), I'm pretty sure that it doesn't fit on the shunt because of the negative plate. So I would like to mount it in another place, Inside the Classic or  maybe inside the magnum panel. Could I use a length of 14AWG (16/24 inches) to connect the whizbang to the small shunt bolts? Is that a problem?
Any input appreciated,
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

Halfcrazy

Any chance you can post a pic or two of the Magnum sheet metal? But if it wont fit then yes you can remote it. I have mine hanging on about 18inches of thermostat wire as I have a 1000 amp shunt

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

SolarMusher

Hello Ryan,
This is a customer's system and he is there for the end of week. So I could not make a picture of it right now without switching the system off but I will try if that can help for others.
I think that it's gonna be more easy to remote the whizbang inside the Classic because I had installed a lot of stuff in this magnum panel. If you tell me that it's working for you I will do the same.
What gauge did you use to remote it?
Thanks,
Erik
PS: I didn't see that you used thermostat wire ;D
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

SolarMusher

Hi Ryan,
I've installed a Whizbang today and mounted it remotely inside the Classic. As I told you there was a negative plate plus a bond plate to ground which make it very difficult to mount a whizbang on the shunt. It would be easily possible to mount it when preparing the Magnum panel before installation. One would have just to remove the little negative bond plate and replace it with a negative to ground wire or to mount it anywhere Inside the Magnum panel. I've done it about the same as you told me and it works... great.
Thanks,
Erik

dgd

Quote from: SolarMusher on December 10, 2013, 06:24:38 PM
I've installed a Whizbang today and mounted it remotely inside the Classic. 

Erik,
Would you have a photo of this, I'm interested to see how it fits in there
thanks
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

SolarMusher

Hi David,
I'll take you one the next time I'll go there, it was far more easy than to try to mount it on the shunt, maybe at the end of the week as I've ordered Water Miser caps and will have to add it to his bank.
Great to see you back on this forum  ;).
Erik

dgd

thanks Erik,
I have a similar issue with a much too busy MNDC with shunt inside. It would need some major rewiring etc to get the WBjr in there so it has to go somewhere else, inside something is ideal to keep everything in boxes/conduit etc..
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

SolarMusher

David, you just have to connect a 16/18 inches wire to the shunt and route it through the 1 inch nipple or conduit that connect your classic to the MNDC, then connect it to the other side of the whizbang with small bolts and place into the classic wiring casing (shunt battery side to whizbang violet side) . The whizbang fits easily inside the classic, i have strapped it to a 6AWG wire to be sure it didn't block air flow to the cooling fans and isolated both little bolts on the whiz with electrical tape. There was a magnum batt monitor already installed on the shunt, I've just unscrewed the little shunt bolts and slided the whiz connectors on the BMK connectors without switching off the system (not recommended  ;D). This was a little one hour job with a classic update included.
I'll post a pic.
Erik

zoneblue

Id be inclined to use screened audio cable or similar, the voltages are very small. Tenths of a millivolt.

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar