Solar + Hydro Confusing Midnite 150

Started by Laurence Hodgetts, December 31, 2013, 10:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurence Hodgetts

Hi.  I have a solar array through a Xantrex and a Powerspout through a Midnote 150.  We were told that we could feed the 24 volt AGM battery bank from both.  However what is happening is that the Midnite 150 sees the input from the Xantrex as the actual battery condition rather than the actual condition eg batteries actually at 23 volts and need charging but the solar array is sending 27 volts so the Midnite stops charging.
Any ideas please

TomW

Quote from: Laurence Hodgetts on December 31, 2013, 10:48:40 PM
Hi.  I have a solar array through a Xantrex and a Powerspout through a Midnote 150.  We were told that we could feed the 24 volt AGM battery bank from both.  However what is happening is that the Midnite 150 sees the input from the Xantrex as the actual battery condition rather than the actual condition eg batteries actually at 23 volts and need charging but the solar array is sending 27 volts so the Midnite stops charging.
Any ideas please

Do your DC sources connect directly to the battery?

My first wild guess and point I would check is that all the DC sources go to the battery bus as directly as possible and that all connections are solid and sufficient cable sizes are being used.

It looks like your system is seeing voltage drops that are confusing the controller.

Just my first thought.

Tom

Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

boB

If the solar through the xantrex is actually bringing the battery voltage up to absorb voltage,
then there isn't a lot to do except to maybe adjust the Classic 150 to absorb at a higher voltage
than the Xantrex is set for.  A couple tenths of a volt should  be enough but you might need
to make the difference a bit more than that.  You can also bring the Xantrex's set point voltage
down a wee bit to help the difference.

BUT, in the end, if your batteries are getting charged, then that is all that really matters.
Of course, you may want to slow down your power spout turbine by making the Classic
work harder because you don't need to slow down solar.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

lasolargroup

Thanks for sharing your ideas  with us through this forum ,its really  informative and useful content for us.

Link removed as it resembled advertising