The KID Fan Club thread

Started by Halfcrazy, January 22, 2014, 02:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

So What I was hoping is all the proud new parents could post pictures and testimonials here on there KID. We will try to reward all of you for this with some token of our apreciation. Not sure what that may be but I have some ideas  :o

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Halfcrazy

Here is my parallel set up with 3Kw of PV on 2 Kids. You will notice the spare control boards from the Classic being used as data loggers.

Westbranch

OK,OK,OK.... so I see 6 shunts with Whizbangs and 3 CCs , one Clasic having a non used MNGP,( it looks  like the power comes into the Classic) and then the 2 Kids...???

Ryan, now that you have taunted us can you explain a bit??
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

TomW

I have my Marine Kid fed from my formerly direct connected ancient 4X Siemans SP75 Nominal 12 volt array pushing about 63 volts into the Kid and have seen 300+ watts from a nominal 300 watt array. Deep cold, crystal clear skies with snow cover. Those need your welding helmet to see outside days. I intend to use The Kid on a electric cart I am building to run around the compound here. It will have a "roof" of solar panels to keep it going without plugging it in.

Here it is on my rather ugly equipment wall:

This is a shot of the Kid, a PSX-240 Autotransformer and the MN BabyBox I used to wire the panels to The Kid and The Kid to the battery. My system has grown in place and needs some major neatening up. At least I am properly fusing things these days..  :o:

Very happy with it so far. Well built, well packed for shipping and works as expected. The drag and drop firmware upgrade was dead simple. No drivers, no application to install, just connect the USB, put The Kid in upgrade mode and when the "folder" appears on the desktop, drag the firmware file onto it and The Kid just does it.

Anyway, a very nice unit and will be thinking of grabbing another to replace the BZMPPT500 I have on a 520 watt Kyocera array.

As with anything there were a couple little things I would try to "fix". I found the 2 fitting bores in the case seem too tight to attach 2X nutted connectors. I used one snap in and one nutted connector and it was very tight to twist the nutted connector tight from the outside and pretty impossible to get at it on the inside as well. No biggy and considering the way the parts are shoehorned in there probably acceptable. The rubber plug for the USB port on the Marine unit needs to be installed before you mount it to the bracket so would need to remove it from the bracket to uncork the hole and jack in the USB cable, another minor issue. The plastic fuse covers could be a bit more weather tight on the Marine unit but seem fine for indoor.  Until the firmware catches up the LEDs only seem to indicate "float".

So there you have it, my review of the Beta Marine Kid #27 I got. Overall, I give it an A- and the - is only because of minor issues.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

Halfcrazy

Quote from: Westbranch on January 22, 2014, 05:26:14 PM
OK,OK,OK.... so I see 6 shunts with Whizbangs and 3 CCs , one Clasic having a non used MNGP,( it looks  like the power comes into the Classic) and then the 2 Kids...???

Ryan, now that you have taunted us can you explain a bit??

The "Box" if you will contains 6 control boards, 6 shunts and 6 WBjrs. It is designed to data log PV volts, PV amps, Battery volts and Battery amps on 3 separate controllers from 3 identical arrays. So for now I have the Kids running through channel 1 and 2.

Westbranch

Tks, 
Q: are the 2 shunts on the right side operational?  I only see one grey wire connected to each, and 1 loose grey wire..?
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,

Halfcrazy

No channel 3 is not in use just yet. I have to redo the PV array and then I can start some head to head. Kid vs Classic and others comparison

Vic

Initial run of Kid Beta #53.

A very slick compact,  capable box,  that will get better and better!
Thanks MidNite for the opportunity.

Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Westbranch

Hi Vic, I have had a similar problem, solved it (?) by reducing the original by 50% at a time till the forum software would accept it , usually at or less than 25% of original.  don't remember the original size though.

Vic

Fixed now.

Wb,   Yea,  some cockpit error ...   saved a 99 Kb image,  and somehow it resulted in a 5 Kb file ...   The Forum SW says that 400 Kb is the max file size,  which is plenty.  Back to work,    Thanks,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

dapdan

Ok fans,

Here is my submission. Big brother and little brother aka the kid. Finally got the beta kid #18. He sure is a handsome fellow.

Cheers...
Damani

Highflyer

Hello form East Texas!!

I got my first Kid a couple weeks ago and I am working hard to get it into action!!  I have been very interested in the Kid ever since Robin let it out of the bag that the Kid was more than just an idea.  I must say that I am not disappointed at all!!!  What a nice piece of engineering and the software is getting better all the time.  I doft my chapeau, to the entire team, Rock solid work!!

I'll post pictures as soon as I can.  My utilization is going to be outside near my ponds supporting aeration, lighting and other functions.  The enclosure will have forced air cooling when needed.  I expect to fly my solar panels using a dual axis tracker by the end of spring, but for now a fixed ground setup is all I have for the panels.

I also plan on a RaspberryPI setup for support functions.
Brian

The one thing is the one thing

dgd

KID fits nicely between Classic and MNDC box, from where it gets its PV input.
Power wall after a hide all wires redesign around a gutter type galv/steel electrical conduit. Since I installed this mid last year the RF noise emanating  from this room has very significantly reduced. Just a couple of stray wires, earths, still needing rerouting. Wall needs a fresh coat of white paint too  :)
dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Kent3

Just completed install of my Kid and so far the results look very good even with overcast clouds. I like all the possibilities the Kid has available. Currently using a 12 v battery bank but when it gets warmer I will be changing to a 24v system. Also is there any software available to access data in the Kid?
Kent
6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Kent3 on March 22, 2014, 11:19:44 AM
Just completed install of my Kid and so far the results look very good even with overcast clouds. I like all the possibilities the Kid has available. Currently using a 12 v battery bank but when it gets warmer I will be changing to a 24v system. Also is there any software available to access data in the Kid?
Kent

Nope - no monitoring  software for the Kid . So far the only computer communication is for doing firmware updates. It has been said that in the future there is a chance the Kid could have some sort of serial output but nothing at this time.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable