News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

WBjr Stopped Reading Battery Current

Started by Vic, January 24, 2014, 06:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic

UPDATE:

Snagged the WBjr at another site that had been waiting patiently to be installed.

Installed that one early this AM.  Was very quick and easy,  as it was done with the Inverters running and the PV in just switched off at the breakers ...   easy - peasy.

This previously unused WBjr WORKS GREAT!   No problems at all.

AND,  just got back to town from the Center Of Nowhere,  and there is already a box from MidNite with a replacement WBjr,  and even a Call Tag for the return of the one with problems!   Thanks MidNite for the great service!!
(MN also sent the WBjr for the Beta Kid in the same box!  Thanks again MN!).

Thanks again,   life is good.      Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

Vic

However,   recently,   the same behavior as before has returned -- 0.0 A displayed,  and a fixed,  unchanging Temperature shown on the WBjr's status screen.

The Green LED on the WB usually flashes every five seconds,  although,  it will flash more often fan more randomly,  when the CC  is delivering charge current.

So it appears that the WBjr that was R&Red and returned to MN was NOT defective.

So,  it is either something in the way that I have chosen to install the WB,   or perhaps the Classic 150,  S/N 3677.

Am running the first FW that supports the WBjr -- 10/4/13 for both the Classic and MNGP.

The WBjr,  with the latest FW  would be a nice attribute to the system,  but Air Conditioning season officially ended last week,  and that was the most pressing need for the WBjr's Absorption Termination function.

Did shut off the Classic's PV in,  and cycled its DC power,  and,  as in the past,   the WB is again reporting actual battery current and its temp.   Do not know what exactly it is that causes this team to stop reporting.

Have no spare Classic to use as a test bed.

Will look at the Aux 2 modes,  and perhaps try to test those functions in this Classic.

Suggestions?  Thanks!   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.

boB

Quote from: Vic on February 10, 2014, 04:29:56 PM

Have no spare Classic to use as a test bed.

Suggestions?  Thanks!   Vic

Yeah, try paralleling a 10K resistor across R116 behind the horizontal 12 pin connector below
the bottom inductor.  I am ~semi~ kidding but semi not kidding.   R116 is a 10K resistor right
now and it might help it to be 5K Ohms.  If you have a leaded 8K to 10K resistor, you could
bend the leads and try to add it across that resistor either by holding it there (there is conformal
coating across that R116 so most likely have to break through that), or solder one across it
if you're not too bad at surface mount.

R116 is in-between those two D-PAK transistors Q31 and Q16 I think they are.

Hey, you wanted a suggestion !

Sorry Vic.  I couldn't resist.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

...   crap,  my five minute posting session "Timed Out" ... !

boB,   thanks,  will try my Oxcy-Acetylene Torch to cut through the conformal coating ...

Do you think that this R reduction might cause the reporting of I and temp to begin again,  without re-booting the Classic?   Or just reduce the chances of it occurring?

Am not so good with SM,   not so much the shakes,  but not so good vision.

73   Thanks,   Vic

boB

Quote from: Vic on February 10, 2014, 05:09:45 PM
...   crap,  my five minute posting session "Timed Out" ... !

boB,   thanks,  will try my Oxcy-Acetylene Torch to cut through the conformal coating ...

Do you think that this R reduction might cause the reporting of I and temp to begin again,  without re-booting the Classic?   Or just reduce the chances of it occurring?

Am not so good with SM,   not so much the shakes,  but not so good vision.

73   Thanks,   Vic

Well, I was just wondering if it might be  a logic RX problem ?   If it worked before, I'm not sure why this
would change all of a sudden ?

Since I am working on a new classic software revision, I think I will make the LED mode "COMM TEST" also show when
the Classic receives a packet from the Whizbang Junior just for this kind off thing.

Hang on for the new software coming up in a day or so and let's try that to see if it might show something up.
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Vic

Thanks boB,   not a problem at all.  On this system,  without Air Conditioning running,  CC EA is a fine alternative.   Just looked,  and the WBjr is still reporting I and Temp ...

Thanks again,   Vic

brad.midnite

Hey Vic. Sorry to hear you're having an issue with the Whizbang Jr.

I have been intimately involved with their development (not literally). Early on in the beta-stages of production, a resistor change was made to improve noise immunity on the communication line. The Whizbang Jr. you returned to us was built before this change was made.

It would appear based on your description of symptoms to me, that your issue is induced noise on the power/comm wire. This doesn't affect the accuracy of readings as a checksum is performed, but it can cause data to be corrupted and thus rejected.

Bob and I personally tested your returned Whizbang Jr. attached to a Classic and were unable to reproduce the problem.

You mentioned grabbing another Whizbang Jr, replacing it, and the problem reoccurring. I'm guessing both Whizbang Jr's you have were built before the change was made. The ones you received in the mail from us around Feb. 1st have the updated part. When you get a chance, please try one of those. Hopefully, the extra immunity will be enough to clear up the problem. If not, we'll do our best to figure it out and fix it.

Thanks,

Brad
Midnite Solar Inc.

Vic

Hi Brad,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply.

Yes,  did receive new WBjrs a few weeks ago.
AND,  yes the WBjr that I used to replace the first one (the WB returned to you folks) was from the first two that I ordered from N AZ Wind & Sun,   very early in the retail product availability.  These two WBs were drop-shipped from MN.

I will try to replace the one on the system that is still halting its I and T reporting,  with one of the newest ones,  and report its performance.

One note;  the system using the replaced WBjr  seems more reliable,  ie it fails less often than did the first WB on that system (this is the WB returned to  you).  It could also just be that there has been much less sun in the past week,  about coincident with the R&R of that original WB.

AND,  appears that the kind folks at MN have sent a WBjr to replace the one that was sent back for your evaluation.   So,  I am ahead by one WB,  and owe you folks.

I know of no company other than MidNite that gives this terrific  level of customer support.  From Tech Support,  to fulfillment of drop-shipped orders,  to this Forum with  Tech Support and Engineering's heavy involvement -- MidNite is simply the best.   Most impressive,   THANKS!    Vic

Vic

Replaced the WBjr last night,  and,  so far all is fine.  Will,  soon UD to the latest Firmware.

FWIW,  Thanks,    Vic

Vic

Update;

The WBjr continues to flawlessly report battery current and its temperature.

Have NOT yet updated the Classic and MNGP FW ...   been very busy,  and have been waiting for things to settle out.   Would have not had the time to study and interact with the SOC functions at this point anyway.

Sure looks like Spring here ...  rain is due mid-week,   we do need it.  just getting ready for it.

SO,  THANK YOU MidNite for the great products which get better and better,  mostly through FirmWare Updates,  and for the worls's best Support and Customer service!     Vic

brad.midnite

cybermaus

Quote from: boB on January 27, 2014, 07:50:32 PMBTW, FYI, etc...    IF you lose negative on your Classic, it can hurt the WB Jr. because negative will then
try to go through the WB Jr. instead.

boB
Can, or Will?

Either way, maybe this piece if info is deserving of a spot on the WBJr manual?

boB

Quote from: cybermaus on February 25, 2014, 03:40:57 AM
Quote from: boB on January 27, 2014, 07:50:32 PMBTW, FYI, etc...    IF you lose negative on your Classic, it can hurt the WB Jr. because negative will then
try to go through the WB Jr. instead.

boB
Can, or Will?

Either way, maybe this piece if info is deserving of a spot on the WBJr manual?

Can or Will ??   In this case,  "Did"  is what I found.   It may not happen every time unless
possibly other negatives are not in the circuit so that is why maybe,  "Can" is the answer.

Nothing ever seems to be absolutely yes or no around here.  :)
boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me