Bluetooth dongle

Started by Graham, February 24, 2014, 11:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Is (or will) the serial data available through the usb port?
I was wondering if it would be possible to access the serial data using a bluetooth dongle, I could then add support for the KID into my android app...

thanks
Graham.
Off-Grid Island cottage, Lac Simon QC Canada
370 Ahrs @ 24V (4 8L16 batteries)
4 x 250watt panels on dual axis trackers http://tinyurl.com/hfpkgr5
Classic 150, Whizbang Jr.
Android Monitor: http://tinyurl.com/lomzq3s

TomW

Quote from: Graham on February 24, 2014, 11:10:29 AM
Is (or will) the serial data available through the usb port?
I was wondering if it would be possible to access the serial data using a bluetooth dongle, I could then add support for the KID into my android app...

thanks
Graham.

Graham;

As far as I can tell, the USB is not active on my Kid.

Maybe it needs to be turned on in the setup but pretty sure they have not implemented data on the USB port yet?

I plugged mine in and the computer does not see it as a port on mine unless I have it in upgrade mode and then it pops up as a drive.

Just from here.

Interesting App you are working on too bad I am not in the 21st century WRT phones / mobile devices.

A dongle should be transparent so it should work with one once you get it configured and the option to get serial data is enabled / implemented!

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

dapdan

Graham,

Remote view through lab would be sweet for the kid. Mario is the best guy to let us know if this is possible.

Cheers...
Damani

Mario

The USB is not enabled during normal operation and it is a USB Device only so it will not be able to support dongles even if it was to be enabled.
When the data is available it will be done serial through the RS232 port (Master)

Mario

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: Mario on February 24, 2014, 04:38:37 PM
The USB is not enabled during normal operation and it is a USB Device only so it will not be able to support dongles even if it was to be enabled.
When the data is available it will be done serial through the RS232 port (Master)

Mario

Would the serial data be TTL or RS232 ?  If it is TTL then I think these $6 blue tooth adapters would do what Graham needs for his Android interface. http://www.ebay.com/itm/30ft-Wireless-Bluetooth-RF-Transceiver-Module-serial-RS232-TTL-for-arduino-/310646216582?pt=Home_Automation_Modules&hash=item4853f51786
I think you can get RS232 to bluetooth also but they cost a bit more. 
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

HopperDK

Hello all, I'm new in the Midnite and KID forum.  :)my first post :)
I'm waiting my new KID to be delivered shortly, looking forward to finally try it out,, I'm a bit concerned now that I now understand that the KID still has no Remote monitor or setup abilities yet ( I strongly advice Midnite to implement this very soon,, need it,,, I would like to go whit the Classic controller, but the Price tag here in Denmark is a bit over of my budget right now.  :-[
Well, the data/stream and protocol must be available in some form in the KID??, so why not do,,,,do it soon please..
and yes, the Bluetooth dongle idea would be very nice, well for short distance wireless,, as I see it, any kind of dongle/interface would be appreciated if the KID needs it, to make it Remote capable.

SolaRevolution

Has there been any development on the Bluetooth idea for the KID?

Being able to check on the system on a smart phone would be great! Imagine just using an app to see your battery SOC, PV watts, etc...  You wouldn't have to get out of your chair until you ran out of beer!
;D