No Battery , Configuration with only a Dump Load

Started by romekgm, March 12, 2014, 05:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romekgm

Hi guys, maybe you can help me
I'm a student of Aeronautics, and we currently trying to build a computer model of the Bergey Excel 1kw Wind Turbine
We have purchased the Turbine, 3 phase AC2DC Converter the MidNite Controller, and 3000W DumpLoad
1) Is there a possibility to use the MidNite Controller only with the Dump Load, without the Battery attached, I don’t need the power or the charging cycles, just want to measure how much the turbine can produce for specific wind (measurement done with anemometer),but cant just unload it because of the high possible RPM
2) Is there an option for the controller to keep steady RPM with different wind velocities?(maybe with the predefined power curve?)

Thanks in advance
Roman

TomW

Quote from: romekgm on March 12, 2014, 05:00:04 PM
Hi guys, maybe you can help me
I'm a student of Aeronautics, and we currently trying to build a computer model of the Bergey Excel 1kw Wind Turbine
We have purchased the Turbine, 3 phase AC2DC Converter the MidNite Controller, and 3000W DumpLoad
1) Is there a possibility to use the MidNite Controller only with the Dump Load, without the Battery attached, I don’t need the power or the charging cycles, just want to measure how much the turbine can produce for specific wind (measurement done with anemometer),but cant just unload it because of the high possible RPM
2) Is there an option for the controller to keep steady RPM with different wind velocities?(maybe with the predefined power curve?)

Thanks in advance
Roman

Roman;

This has come up before. Sadly, the answer is "no". You will need a battery to power up the Classic at least.

I will poke Ryan on this and he can address the specifics.

Maybe one of the Midnite Engineers will pop in with a response.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

mahendra

i am no expert but i am thinking it is not safe.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

Halfcrazy

Hm I am not sure how you could test this for power output without a battery. If I where doing this I would set up a small 48 volt battery and use a Solid State Relay driven by the classic to run the dump load to maintain a set voltage. Say 52 volts for a number. This way the test results will all be viable as they would all be at 52v.

But in any event you will need a battery.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

boB

The battery is required to power the Classic and to give the wind turbine somewhere to send its power to while it is tracking.

You ~could~  theoretically use just a power supply and a dump load BUT the problem will show itself as the dump load turns on and loads the power supply so much that the Classic will turn itself off.

i.e.  The PWM to turn the load on and off is not quite exact enough to always keep the battery (power supply) voltage constant enough to keep things powered up.  Of course, your mileage may vary and it ~could~ end up working ~most~ of the time.

Also, since the AC output of the turbine is fairly low, on the order a few hundred Hz down to 10s of Hz, there will be at least some ripple transferred over to the input side.  Not a lot of ripple because the turbine has 3-phase AC output but some and the battery helps to filter any AC ripple either from that or that dump load PWM on and off signal which is not 3 phase.

A battery will usually have a lot of power available to help keep the Classic powered up.

So, it is recommended to have at least some battery on the battery side of the Classic.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

romekgm

thank you all for your help
I guess I have no choise ,the battery is a must ...