Requested charge controller feature

Started by Kent0, March 17, 2014, 11:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent0

It would be nice if the Classic and Kid stopped charging when the battery is overheated and displayed an error message. Most battery manufacturers recommend not charging a battery that exceeds 50°C. There are hot climates where this limit may need to be adjusted upward a bit higher than 50°C. For a solar charging system running automatically, the operator can't be doing this - the charge controller needs to do it.

Halfcrazy

Kent
The Classic does this now. it is a adjustable ModBus register that allows you to program at what high temp it stops. I will have to get the info from boB. Will also look at adding this to the kid

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Kent0

That's good news. Why isn't battery over-temperature protection on the datasheet or in the manual?

Halfcrazy

Well like most other controllers we did not have any over temp shut down on the battery temp. A customer asked for it and boB just added it in the latest code.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Kent0

Midnite is the best at being customer responsive!

boB

Quote from: Kent0 on March 17, 2014, 06:09:37 PM
That's good news. Why isn't battery over-temperature protection on the datasheet or in the manual?

Well, because the Classic manual leaves a lot to be desired.  We are in the process of
filling that desire now !

Until there is a menu item for this, it will pretty much be a short paragraph in the upcoming manual
revision.

I REALLY want to get that option to have the absorb time start at the ending amps level though as you
previously talked about, Kent.  That is the one big thing I believe that is missing from most chargers
including ours.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me