another aux output feature request

Started by Kent0, March 17, 2014, 11:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kent0

It would be nice if the aux output feature for running a battery vent fan would also allow the vent fan to run if the batteries are warmer than a user adjustable setpoint. In cold climates people often put batteries in insulated enclosures to help keep them warm and thus prevent capacity loss due to low temperature operation. In the summer, these insulated enclosure can cause the batteries to operate too warm or even to overheat. Running the vent fan until the battery cools down is appropriate for this situation and should help improve battery service life. 

boB

Oooo...  I like that idea, Kent !

Given enough time, etc, it will likely happen.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Westbranch

Could one not use the 'reference temp' ie 25* C, as the turn on point in either case?

FWIU that is the temp they were designed to function optimally at isn't it? ...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

boB

Quote from: Westbranch on March 24, 2014, 08:07:42 PM
Could one not use the 'reference temp' ie 25* C, as the turn on point in either case?

FWIU that is the temp they were designed to function optimally at isn't it? ...

Yes and yes.  But the fan would be on a LOT in that case.  It should be adjustable
I would think...  Both voltage and temperature.

There should be an Aux output based on adjustable battery temperature in either case for
whatever purposes and this would be a good way to do that.  I think that adding in the
battery temperature to the existing vent fan code would do the trick nicely.  You can always
move one or the other parameter out of the way if you don't want that triggering the Aux
output.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Kent0

I agree boB, the temperature setting needs to be adjustable. In the winter the user may want to set it a little high, knowing that the batteries will cool too much otherwise. In the summer, the user may need to set it higher than usual, or turn the thermostat feature off, so that the vent doesn't draft in hot outside air any more than necessary. Needs vary with circumstances and we can't anticipate all of them in advance.