MNGP update stuck

Started by sunbelt57, April 14, 2014, 01:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunbelt57

I've upgraded the firmware for my Classic Lite but when I try the MNGP it sits at "Uploading.. 0% done." and the lights on the panel flash every 3 seconds. How long should this take if the DOS box is just not showing the update progress or is it stuck? Its been 20 minutes or so.

sunbelt57

I think its stuck. I have everything working except for being able to connect offline with my laptop cabling directly to the Classic. I'm assuming the MNGP not being able to update is the problem. But it works fine when on my LAN. So I may have issues with the DSN on my adapter settings which is for another post, I guess.

Halfcrazy

First I am assuming this is a Standard classic not a Classic Lite? And second I have to ask "Is the MNGP plugged in" and I ask cause I have tried my darnedest to update an MNPG that was setting on my bench and not plugged in   8)
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

Resthome

Quote from: sunbelt57 on April 14, 2014, 01:01:17 PM
I've upgraded the firmware for my Classic Lite but when I try the MNGP it sits at "Uploading.. 0% done." and the lights on the panel flash every 3 seconds. How long should this take if the DOS box is just not showing the update progress or is it stuck? Its been 20 minutes or so.
Sunbelt57

I thought in other posts you indicated you had a Classic Lite if that is the case You have NO MNGP to update.

http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=1798.msg16228#msg16228
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Resthome

Quote from: sunbelt57 on April 14, 2014, 01:10:12 PM
I think its stuck. I have everything working except for being able to connect offline with my laptop cabling directly to the Classic. I'm assuming the MNGP not being able to update is the problem. But it works fine when on my LAN. So I may have issues with the DSN on my adapter settings which is for another post, I guess.

What do you mean connect offline. If you are referring to MyMidnite you can not connect to it with a cable directly to your Classic. The Classic when enabled will send data to an Internet connection. ie You have to have an internet connection for MyMidNite to work.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000

sunbelt57

You're right, I have a Lite and no MNGP. What I mean by offline is I'm cabling directly from the Lite to my laptop. It doesn't connect so I'm wondering if I either have to have a crossover cable or use a switch or router. I set the switches on the panel for custom and 192.168.0.223:502 and the adapter settings are:
IP address: 192.168.0.223
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Preferred DNS: 192.168.0.1
Alt DNS: 1.0.0.0

I've tried to set the pref dns to 0.0.0.0 but it won't let me set the first digit to 0.

Vic

OK,  but just to try to be clear;

As HC Ryan,  and Resthome John have said,  If you have a Cl Lite,  and you have NOT added the MNGP to the Lite,  then,  there is NO MNGP to update,  and your computer may well wait forever for one to be present.

The MNGP  is the MidNite Graphics Panel,  with LCD Display and buttons.  The Lite has the MNLP  the Light Panel.

Your previous reply about the Update of the MNGP being hung was a bit ambiguous,  so am just trying to make certain that you know the above.

Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

sunbelt57

I just got my acronyms mixed up.

Halfcrazy

The MNLP can not be updated.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

atop8918

Hi,
You cannot configure any settings on the Classic Lite if the DIP switches are set to anything but "Custom". To be a little more clear: you'll have to set the DIP switches to Custom to change anything on the Classic with the Local App.

I'm also a little unclear on which particular service isn't connecting. If it's the Local APP you'll have to be sure that your PC settings are compatible with the network settings you've assigned to the Classic.
If you want the Classic to connect to MyMidNite through your Laptop then you will also have to create a Bridge between the LAN port and the Internet-side of your attached PC.

An easier solution would be to connect the Classic directly to your router or to add wireless Bridge to it to connect wirelessly to your network.

Resthome

Quote from: sunbelt57 on April 14, 2014, 01:58:27 PM
You're right, I have a Lite and no MNGP. What I mean by offline is I'm cabling directly from the Lite to my laptop. It doesn't connect so I'm wondering if I either have to have a crossover cable or use a switch or router. I set the switches on the panel for custom and 192.168.0.223:502 and the adapter settings are:
IP address: 192.168.0.223
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Preferred DNS: 192.168.0.1
Alt DNS: 1.0.0.0

I've tried to set the pref dns to 0.0.0.0 but it won't let me set the first digit to 0.

I use a Wireless Router and connect the classic to it. I can then take my laptop anywhere within Wi-Fi range and run the Local App. You might want to review the Classic manual for different network connections. I have not tried a crossover cable directly to the Classic and I do not have one here on the boat. But it also looks like you have the Classic and the Adapter (assume this is the Laptop) set to the same IP address. They can't be the same they need to be different.

See http://en.kioskea.net/faq/6340-connecting-two-pcs-using-a-crossover-ethernet-cable
John

zoneblue

Trying to upgrade a lite MNGP, thats really hilarious, nice one :)

Most newer laptops will have an auto negotiate rj45 port. At least my 6year old one works without a xover cable. Hence im thinking youve not got the settigns right yet. If you dont use a router, as i said before is to set the classic ip address to the same subnet, as the laptop. This has nothing to do with mymidnite settings.

classic 192.168.0.223
laptop 192.168.0.99

Give that a whirl. Router still the best bet. In this case give the classic a static ip OUTSIDE of the dhcp range on the router. Common DHCP range is 100-150. That gives you best of both worlds, static for the classic, and dhcp for the rest of your network.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

sunbelt57

Thanks guys. That should get me up and going.

dgd

Quote from: zoneblue on April 14, 2014, 03:40:36 PM
Trying to upgrade a lite MNGP, thats really hilarious, nice one :)

Maybe so but its not really sunbelt's problem.
I you look at the update GUI and what it instructs you to do then there is no mention of the Classic LITE and that there is no need to run the MNGP update.
The text instructions in the GUI could probably do with updating to avoid confusion.

As for acronym confusion, again not sunbelt's problem. I could never figure out why MNGP and MNLP became default names for the parts. Whats wrong with graphics panel and lite panel?  and why the MN in front? Are we likely to get confused with an OBGP or MSGP etc (Outback and Morningstar) if these exist  :D

..sorry its late I need a SMSW

dgd

Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Resthome

+1 dgd

Don't get me wrong the MidNite folks are great at support and building great products.  And they have done a good job with video documentation. The written documentation has not keep up with the changes to the Classic firmware. And dgd is correct the firmware update instructions make no mention of the lite so a newbe following these instructions can fall victim of following the instructions and trying to update the MNGP. I think they did a good job when the Classic and E- Panels and Combiners were the main products. As the product line expands some of the documentation has taken a back seat. Maybe they just need a Tech Writer to help with the written documents. Video is great but unless I download the video before I leave home, I don't have access to an internet that can handle the video streaming at the boat.

Bottom line is I wouldn't trade the MidNite hardware or support for any other product.
John