Step by step Local app and classic setup tutorial

Started by jimskau, April 22, 2014, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimskau

Dear forum,

I'm certain all the answers needed are hidden in this section already, but wouldn't it be great to have a step by step tutorial for setting up Ethernet communications to the local status app and my midnite for the uninitiated?
Something like step 1: access the NET menu, set "internet access to enabled" etc.

It would also be great with a "most common ranking list" of trouble shooting solutions when the buggers won't talk.
Such an entry could be listed at the top of a FAQ list for easy access for new members, or old farts like myself who can't remember how I made it happen with my first Classic 150. 
Right now we are installing our fourth Classic here in Spain, and the latest unit seems to have a flat value of 0.0.0.0. listed on most of the entries from IP to D2 etc. Is this common or could that be the reason it fails to go on line?

Ethernet is working, Local status app does see the unit occasionally (I've deleted the auto detected entry of a 0.0.0.0:502 unit which means I see the midnite without being able to access it)

Humbly yours,

Jim Skau
Outback VFX 1424
4 x 6CS25p's Rolls
1,8 Kw mixed array, Midnite Classic 150
1 Jack Russel terrier
SmartGauge battery monitor & a hell of a lot of Vines :-)

Resthome

John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

jimskau

Yeeeees !!!!!

Thank you so much John.
I would still propose this link gets published by various search words to help other stranded stragglers :-)
Outback VFX 1424
4 x 6CS25p's Rolls
1,8 Kw mixed array, Midnite Classic 150
1 Jack Russel terrier
SmartGauge battery monitor & a hell of a lot of Vines :-)

TomW

Quote from: Resthome on April 22, 2014, 10:37:11 AM
Try this. http://www.midnitesolar.com/video/videoPlay.php?video_ID=39&videoCat_ID=3

Configure Local Application.

Config  Local Application.

Set up Classic networking

Config configure Classic networking

Maybe that will help searches.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

mike90045

Is there a manual for the local app ?  I'm looking for info seen in the CONFIG Advanced  & Tech menus.

Why would I (or not) have Auto Reset at night ?   What do I gain or loose with Sweep Interval tweaking ?
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Resthome

Quote from: mike90045 on August 01, 2014, 11:03:07 AM
Is there a manual for the local app ?  I'm looking for info seen in the CONFIG Advanced  & Tech menus.

Why would I (or not) have Auto Reset at night ?   What do I gain or loose with Sweep Interval tweaking ?

Yeah there is a manual for the LA but it is way out of date and does not cover any of the new features and some of what it cover is now incorrect. Midnite does not seem to have a priority to update manuals. You are better off reviewing their on line videos for new information. At least I haven't seen a newer version.

Auto Reset at night may handle an issue if the Classic gets hung up for some reason. But my understanding is the built-in software Watch Dog Timers will restart the Classic if the software gets stuck at least that is what it is suppose to do. Maybe boB or Ryan can added to this.

I haven't found much reason to change the sweep timer from the default 3 minutes. You don't want it too short that all it is doing is looking for the best power point. And you don't want it too long that it might not be at the best power point based on changing conditions.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

atop8918

I do apologize for the out-of date documentation, we are piss-poor at keeping our docs up to date and have no legitimate excuse for it.
I've been trying to add issues that crop up with folks looking for technical assistance to the MyMidNite FAQ and there are some tried-and-true steps under the "Advanced Troubleshooting" area there.

Where abouts in Spain are you Jim? I'm in Southern France at the moment.

mike90045

I'll look up that video next time I'm in town and can sniff some wi-fi.  I can't burn through my phone's data plan - just about to go over data limits. 

Another question.   The SPD on my PV array, is lit every night, and the Classic 200 claims 18V at the array.  Is this leakage ?  It's a dark night, moon has set and just the milky way up there.  Have I gotten it into snow melter mode somehow ?

Attached photo = 11PM northern california
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

vtmaps

Quote from: mike90045 on August 02, 2014, 02:01:50 AM
Another question.   The SPD on my PV array, is lit every night, and the Classic 200 claims 18V at the array.  Is this leakage ?

Yes.  It's leakage from the battery.  It's probably the most FAQ on this forum... they need to put something about this in the manual. 

--vtMaps

TomW

Quote from: mike90045 on August 02, 2014, 02:01:50 AM
I'll look up that video next time I'm in town and can sniff some wi-fi.  I can't burn through my phone's data plan - just about to go over data limits. 

Another question.   The SPD on my PV array, is lit every night, and the Classic 200 claims 18V at the array.  Is this leakage ?  It's a dark night, moon has set and just the milky way up there.  Have I gotten it into snow melter mode somehow ?

Attached photo = 11PM northern california

Completely normal for a Classic to see PV in at night. It is leakage through the Classic from the battery. Mine shows 13 volts for a 24 volt system but it varies.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

TomW

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thi Vu

Hi,

Could i know what type of format of the logged data when exported to the PC ? I mean .xlsx or sth..

Thanks!

atop8918

Hi,
The data is exported as .csv(comma separated values) which can be opened or imported in(to) all spreadsheet programs.