classic will not update

Started by mahendra, May 04, 2014, 03:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahendra

i tried updating my classic 150 to the newest firmware today,however when i do so it it does  not initiate.It just start up without the updating.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

TomW

I have had 2 do this. both with serial numbers above 13000.

Just curious if yours is in this S/N range?

I have tried a lot of things on mine but it simply boots right past the update attempt.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

mahendra

same here .Mine is  clo4157
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

mike90045

Me three.  Just spent the last hour in the battery shed, loading the drivers and tuning win 8.1 to load FW.  No joy.
current FW is Classic  1370  & 1122.  Of course, I left my notes with the sn 1/4 mile away in the battery shed.
update - plugged hi-gain wi-fi ant, and found the local app working, which had my SN  CL08946  in it

1) printed out the 13 page step by step for windows.
2) when connecting the supplied USB cable to the PC (laptop, running on batteries) no USB device was recognized.
3) continued anyway, reset security, loaded drivers, changed com port to 8 .   In the middle of step 28 (power up and start loading) nothing happens after the 2 black boxes pop up.  Eventually one scrolls a message Comm 8 in use or does not exist.  Then all boxes close back to the main updater screen.

Also, since commissioning, the Classic 200, even though I pulled the battery cardboard out, the clock does not retain it's time when powered off and back on [Set TimeDate].   Is it safe to change the coin battery with the system powered up (with wood toothpicks) or shut it all off completely ?

And, the Midnight solar status monitor panel (win pc /air) does not see the classic anymore !!  The front panel of the classic thinks it's all OK, i won't know till the sun comes up and i hike over in the AM

http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

On that clock battery, yes you can replace it with the thing turned on with a toothpick or whatever.

Sometimes what happens is that the prongs that connect to the top of the battery need to be pressed down
before the battery is put back in to make a better connection.

A new battery (1216) will measure about 3.0 volts.

As for updating, windows 8.0 worked every single time and 8.1 changed something and usually works but
as you've found, can not work.

Try this...  Instead of pressing the UPDATE CLASSIC xxx on the PC and then turning on the Classic power,
do sort of the reverse...

Turn on the Classic and then in about 1 second, press the button on the computer.  I have seen this work
before.  Might be worth a try.  Better try it a few times and see if it helps.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mahendra

Tried what you recommended boB but i might be doing this wrong. All i get is "com8 is in use or does not exist"

mahendra

I should also mention i tried this with two different pc and on both my classics but the same result -Classics races pass boot up and does not update.

boB

I would say to call our support line and talk with Ryan or Raechel.

360-403-7207  and then press 2 for support.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

Halfcrazy

Comm8 in use is a windows error. Something else is using that port or Windows "Thinks" it is. I know Mike has helped people move to another com port. I would go in the device manager and check the rest of the stuff on com category and see if something else is on com8
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

mahendra

mike90045

This is all on hold for a month, have to fly back east to deal with parental living situation. i spent the day watering batteries (just took 15 gallons for them all) and weed whacking for fire abatement.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

boB

Yes, I suppose you should try to get past the com 8 busy thing...

You can choose pretty much any port.  What you have to do to change
the updater is to find the proper batch file (like, classic150upALL.bat)
right click the file name and pick edit.  Or just open the file with
any text editor.  Change the last part of the line to whatever
com port you chose to use.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

mahendra

ok because changing com port is fairly simple but with regards to the updater that a different situation.

mahendra

ok i have experimented with the port settings after trying to use three different pc to install latest firmware on a classic 150 and classic lite 200 but i seem to have the same problem .
all three pc (on running on vista, one on windows 7 and one on widows 8)
All the pc's display the same error- Comm 8 in use or does not exist and with port settings it says drivers are corrupt or missing.
Now i am thinking  this isn't coincidence is there a software issue  with new firmware or is my classics faulty.

Halfcrazy

Well com8 in use is usually do to windows seeing something else like a usb keyboard or something using that port (or has used that report windows will remember this forever)

I would suggest calling in 360-403-7207 and push 5 and ask for Mike he can help you through this.

Ryan
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time