Battery Monitor using MNGP

Started by dgd, May 20, 2014, 04:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Now that the WBjr/Classic combination has proved a success (and advances the Classic further beyond the competition  8)), are there any plans to create a separate (from Classic) battery monitor?
Perhaps using the MNGP for display and the WBjr.

I would imagine a box with some similar or improved functionality to the OB Flexnet DC system.
Of course with a couple or six AUX outputs that could provide controls based on battery V, soc etc..

And maybe going further to have several WBjrs monitored.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Tons001

Additional AUX outputs would be awesome!
8 Sopray SR-90 panels, MN Classic 150 w/ WBjr, Sunxtender 12v/305ah, Trimetric 2025a, Morningstar SureSine Inverters & RelayDriver, IOTA DLS-55

dgd

...and (dare I say!)  with a simple web interface built in and an ethernet port /serial port :o
so maybe an MNGP version and a 'networked' version...

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000

Halfcrazy

That is a product we have been kicking around. The WB1000 it would have Ethernet, RS232 and it would speak Modbus. It would have a number of Inputs and Outputs for Aux funcions etc. It would likely have a webserver and maybe run Linux I am not sure there? It should be able to talk to the devices over RS232 and speak TCP/IP to whomever wants it.

This is a needed product we just need to find the engineering time for it.
Changing the way wind turbines operate one smoke filled box at a time

dgd

So its actually got a name - the WB1000?
A needed product indeed, I can see a few thousand sales of these within a short time.
I know it probably too soon to ask but has a specification/features list been drawn up yet or any design work taken place?

dgd

zoneblue

Blackbox? You can add a small lcd to it. More aux ports should also be doable.

Its not stated but i assume the WBJr is dallas one wire, or maybe i2c. Try connecting one to an arduino and see what you get out of it.

But sounds like youre after a retail product?
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

dgd

zb,

Yes the blackbox method is good for me, I have been playing with a 4inch colour graphics display on an arduino while waiting on beagleb to arrive.  Making a BM looks doable.
However, since I'm supporting thirteen sites now all with MN Classics I was looking for a retail product.
For most of these, monitoring battery SOC is more important than monitoring PVs and controller throughput.

Another solution, for me anyway, on a single Classic site would be a local app style BM display using dashboard meters for SOC%, Voltage, +/- Amps.
Unfortunately the Local App's current display of battery SOC%, Ah and current flow , all squeezed into a top corner of the panel below the meters, is from a display viewpoint very subdued and insignificant (its really an afterthought)
An 'in your face' set of meters under title BATTERY MONITOR would be more user friendly
I would actually pay MN for such a BM display  :o

dgd