News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Customer lockout

Started by NCPW, May 22, 2014, 09:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCPW

Is there any way to lockout customers from making changes to settings.
So they can still access system information but unable to do any setting adjustments

atop8918

Is this in regards to the classic itself, the Local Application, or MyMidNite? There is a password feature on the MNGP and the Local App requires you to enter the serial number in order to be able to configure settings.

TomW

Andrew;

Just curious and I never tried it but could you set the serial number in the Local App, configure the Classic and then reset the password to blanks or the wrong value for safe customer use? It seems the LA sends the S/N every time it connects and it is not stored in the Classic itself?

That does not stop the customer from changing settings at the MNGP, of course.

Interesting question on locking out unauthorized / unqualified adjustments.

As a recent thread has shown quite well, some folks just need to leave set up tasks to the professionals.

Tom
Do NOT mistake me for any kind of "expert".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

24 Trina 310 watt modules, SMA SunnyBoy 7.7 KW Grid Tie inverter.

I thought that they were angels, but much to my surprise, We climbed aboard their starship and headed for the skies

atop8918

The problem is that the system wasn't really designed to lock folks out. The Ethernet connections have the serial number lockout feature available as it was a small way to hamper hacking if advanced customers wanted to access their Classics directly over the Internet using port-forwarding.

The MNGP password was just to protect folks "from themselves" for critical parameters so you'd have to think for a second or two before accidentally changing battery voltage, etc.

We didn't design the system to be a configure-once kind of deal. The modbus specs are published and you have the option to access the registers over ethernet or rs232.

I think might be better off with a Void Warranty clause if folks mess with an installed system that they shouldn't.

Like Tom said the Local App just sends the last value that was put into the "Unlock Code" box so if that field is never populated or populated with the wrong value then the Classic won't unlock. It seems some folks can't find the information about the unlock code so you might just trust to luck and our out-of-date documentation. I think the Void Warranty clause might have more legal standing though. I AM NOT A LAWYER.