Another WBjr

Started by dgd, June 15, 2014, 05:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Now that the WBjr is included with new Classics the 'available' AUX connections has reduced from TWO to ONE. This is significantly reducing the capability of a Classic to provide AUX functions.
Especially in a wind turbine system where AUX2 is to be used for Clipper Control signalling between the Clipper and Classic. Its either SOC processing or Clipper Control. Also in water heating applications where a PWM control for loads would use AUX2.

So what about a WBjr that did not use AUX2?
There is a serial port that has a 9v power available. It would be nice if a modified WBjr and firmware could use this instead of AUX2.
This may also require the follow-me to use a single bi-directional serial port.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

boB

I would love to do this actually.  A separate unit with plenty of Aux outputs and inputs, etc.

For expediency though, how about just make Aux 1 be able to do PWM for clippers ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

Quote from: boB on June 16, 2014, 12:22:17 AM
For expediency though, how about just make Aux 1 be able to do PWM for clippers ?

+1

Just out of interest, how much more can you put into the main baords firmware, before you start to hit complexity/resource problems. We certainly dont want to sacrifice robustness, for instance. Thinking about WDT resets etc. Theres a point you cross where maintainability takes this big leap up.

6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

Quote from: zoneblue on June 16, 2014, 03:28:21 PM
Quote from: boB on June 16, 2014, 12:22:17 AM

+1

Just out of interest, how much more can you put into the main baords firmware, before you start to hit complexity/resource problems. We certainly dont want to sacrifice robustness, for instance. Thinking about WDT resets etc. Theres a point you cross where maintainability takes this big leap up.

Another Aux function doesn't really take up any resources except for the software to find what Aux 1 mode it is set for
and then do that function.  Of course, there are ways to make that not take any extra time up in software which you
already know, I'm sure...
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

So instead of a serial port connected WBjr the solution to insufficient number of AUX connections is to have a serial port connected multi-AUX combox type device.
This would certainly make multiple simple on/off switching AUX inputs/outputs, via relay or not,  possible.
For PWM type outputs I assume there would need to be some PWM logic in the combox with frequency control via Classic's serial port.

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand