News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

MNIP

Started by dgd, June 16, 2014, 01:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgd

Just thinking about this ongoing issue withe the Classic and its lack of web server.  From previous postings from MN programming people it has been stated that its unlikely the present hardware/firmware will ever be supporting a web interface.
The classic has two front panel options, the MNGP and the MNLP.  Also, I suppose, the blank panel.

So a suggestion for a new product that would be a nice addition to the Classic. What about an MN Internet Panel, MNIP, to replace the MNGP etc..
Something that communicates with the Classic just as the MNGP does now.
The sort of spec for this could include:
Powered via serial port just as MNGP is now.
CPU with some decent amount of flash and ram running embedded web server software. Web pages to do all the usual reporting and perhaps a local app type page as well.
Communications using an embedded wireless card and antennae just like a laptop does)
Removable storage using SD or micro SD card.
Maybe a few, 4, non relay type AUX outputs

Priced out near the same as the MNGP module, I would even pay more for one of these.
I suspect a fair proportion of existing Classic users would want to upgrade to one of these modules

Classic, Classic Lite and Classic IP.  :)

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

atop8918

Very, very, very good idea, DGD.
I think that, practically, this unit would have to have its own Ethernet port -- or as you suggest a built-in wifi module.
Not sure what the market would bare on this one though. I for one would be happy to try it on though.

boB

I like this idea, too !

What it would basically be would  be a LCD-less MNIP and could be a web server as well as modbus RS232 to TCP/IP/Ethernet converter.

This could also be made by someone else if they had the inkling. 

This could simply be a re-packaged Raspberi Pi or Beaglebone, etc, as long as it has RS232 and can operate from 9V and less than 200 mA.
Hey, with this, one could also program a video/HDMI interface panel into the software.
Yeah, I like that idea...

Sounds kinda like the black box project ?
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

Kinda does, true.

But form factor may be an issue. Theres not a whole load of room to work with in MNGP dimensions. Could it protrude some?...

Quote from: boB on June 16, 2014, 10:52:35 AM
Yeah, I like that idea...

Sounds kinda like the black box project ?
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

Quote from: zoneblue on June 16, 2014, 03:22:10 PM
Kinda does, true.

But form factor may be an issue. Theres not a whole load of room to work with in MNGP dimensions. Could it protrude some?...

Sure.  It should be able to stick out a whole bunch as long as it isn't heavy enough to rip the Classic off the wall.

Sort of like the cameras around the Japanese gentleman in the movie, Airplane.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

dgd

I was thinking of a Midnite MNIP, one that could leverage of the MNGP and its processor minus the LCD graphics display.
Of course assuming that the embedded cpu can actually address some more ram and provide sufficient flash resources for firmware (which appears doable as the MNGP does this now) as well as web server, tcp stack and a fairly basic set of web pages.
The firmware for the MNIP could be updated/loaded from a micro SD card, perhaps also the Classic firmware.
I could envisage the MNIP in a stand alone box like the MN battery meter has and its serial connection also to a KID to provide lan/internet connectivity. Again software update via SD card.
The sd card slot would be the only external connection from the MNIP which should have the same footprint as the existing MNGP housing.
Buttons on MNIP to reset cpu
Ethernet connection using a wireless ethernet card with either external antennae connection or internal antennae wire loop  inside case, auto DHCP to get LAN ip address and maybe a dip switch to select preconfigured static ip address as MNLP does now.
Maybe bluetooth connectivity too so it connects to phone/tab where no radio lan exists.

The sd card partitioned to hold log info, firmware update and user designed web pages that if present over-ride the built in simple pages.
I could imagine an active effort from Classic users to invent some innovative web display pages.

As for marketing MNIP, pricing would be nice about the street price of $170 to $220 but even as high as $250 if necessary.
With probably 10,000+ Classics in use then the MNIP would be a major mid life enhancement for the basic Classic. Difficult to know how may users would want to add MNIP but hopefully it would be a significant 30 to 50%.

Anyway, just thinking aloud..

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

Westbranch

just some rambling thoughts about how this new item might be 'fitted' onto an existing Classic.

Would it be possible to build it so that it mounts interior to (behind) the MNGP, and have an SD card slot that is accessible ?
Will the MNGP still be functional with a MNPI added? ie MNGP still present and functional.
Maybe boB's thoughts about using Aux1 in different ways could be incorporated here too?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

pechan

How about form it so that the MNGP can be mounted to the front of the MNIP, so you pull out the MNGP, plug in the MNIP then snap the MNGP back into the MNIP.

Confused yet?  :o

mahendra

this would be very cool since i was trying to look at my daily live stats of my classics when i was out of the the country for a week but couldn't because it was my android phone wasn't on the same network to receive live data from local app,think this will take care of that somehow in the future if not immediately.
1.5kw on Midnite classic 150(whizbang jr.) networked 0.660kw on classic lite 200 ,180ah CALB Lifepo4 48v battery bank,123SmartBMS bms(top balanced) Outback vfx3648

DaleC

This web server already exists as the iServer from www.newportus.com . I used these in a product 7 years ago when they came out. The iserver converts Modbus232 to modbusTCP and has webpages included to display your analog values and has some digital I/O. The pcb version is $85 (5volt) and mounted in a box with wall powersupply is $195. The pcb is pretty small and could be shoehorned into the classic case. I don't own a classic (yet) but plan to purchase a 150 with 2kw more panels. I am an EE electrical engineer and used the iserver to add Ethernet to a product with Modbus232.  I was very familiar with iserver (7 yrs ago) and customized the server pages to display what I needed. There are lots of web servers already designed and available. The hardware is already available just needs programming to display what you want. This isn't the form factor of the MNGP but all you need is a CAT5 wire exiting your Classic. I think they also have a wifi version which has an antenna like a router. HTH  :)