NEC compliant E-panel ?

Started by elektro, June 20, 2014, 12:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elektro

I'm wondering if there is any plans for a new E-panel that separate's A/C and D/C connections.
I wire electrical for paint booths that use a lot of D/C and A/C connections and with the new NEC codes, we are having to separate these connections. Older paint booths are the problem, everything is wired into the same panel and now we are having to separate any A/C and D/C  (low voltage and high voltage).
Talking with the inspectors, this is a NEC code that they are now in forcing. There must be a divider between the two currents and can not travel in the same conduit.
As I installed my own system, I did wonder about the future changes that maybe made.

Inspections were in Englewood CO and Littleton CO
MS4448PAE
MidNite solar Classic 200
MidNite PV6 Combiner box
MidNite 240 E panel
16 ET Solar 250w panels
16 L-16 Deka 6 volt 370ah Batteries

Westbranch

AFAIK the E-panel includes a divider for such use.. There are only 2 AC CBs near the top and there is room there for 1 more CB IIRC. 
Below that there is a Din rail that take 4 or 5 CBs and there is a divider for Ac and DC see diagram on page 16 of the E-panel manual, text to right of box.  The 2 voltages are separated physically...

What is the exact wording that is the problem? I assume it's NEC 2014...
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

vtmaps

Perhaps some day they will ban inverters and power supplies that have both AC and DC wiring in the same chassis   ::)

Regarding not having AC and DC in the same conduit...  that's not such a bad idea.  But it's not a safety issue... it's more about crosstalk.  Well, maybe it is about safety... is that black wire AC hot or DC negative? 

--vtMaps

inetdog

Just remember when mixing AC and DC in the same raceway (conduit) that the insulation on each/all of the conductors has to be rated for the highest voltage differential existing between any two wires in the bunch.
In the case of 120/240 AC and 150V DC, negative ground, that could be 270V.
Usually not a problem as standard building wire types are good for 600V AC.

tecnodave

The biggest problem with the NEC is the last line that states "When in dought ask the AHJ"
And just who is the AHJ....that's your local building inspector!   (authority having jurisdiction). They are free it interpretation the code any way they see it. I have seen building inspectors require things that are patently unsafe through their ignorance.

In my reading of the NEC there is no such requirement, only that all the wiring in the panel be rated at the highest voltages found in that panel. This is exactly why the phone cables used in the Classic for control panel and for follow me and networking is rated 600 volts, it's in the same box as 150 volt or more wiring.

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P