News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Clipper?

Started by ron45, May 07, 2011, 09:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron45

Can't find one on the product page at Midnight. What are these? Sounds like a load diverter used with a wind turbine. My outback controllers have load diversion IRIRC. I don't keep up on solar stuff. Been off grid 28 years and buy the time I do an upgrade it's been so long that it's like starting over almost. I hardly think about the system except for checking batt water levels and voltage on the mate in the evening if we watch a second movie or I want to power up the recording studio.

Ron
2.0 KW, mixed pv system 3 Zomeworks trackers, two 60 amp Outback mppt's, One 200v Midnite Classic Controler mppt, VFX 3524 inverter

boB

Hi Ron ! Welcome to the forum. Man, you've been off grid longer than most have known what that term means !
Robin still does answer the phone at MidNite.  Ya just gotta catch it at the right time I guess.
His old cell phone, 425-374-9060 that he carried with him for so many years has now blended into the general MidNite
Solar phone pool.

You are right about the Clipper being a dump load for the input side.  We have worked on this for quite a while now but it
has taken a back seat to the Classic itself and we made a change that will get the Clipper out much sooner now.
We've got a few protos in the field and they are working well.  There are 2 kinds of Clippers; AC and DC. The AC one is
typically 3 phase and loads the turbine through  3 load resistors on the AC side of the rectifier.
The DC Clipper is a DC PWM load and used when the customer may not have access to the AC side of the rectifier.
Personally I think I prefer the AC style more than the DC.

As far as the internet monitoring software, we are just "THIS" close to releasing this I think.  Hang on just a wee bit
longer.  If you call the shop I can forward you to the proper people to yell at.

So you have an off grid studio too ?  I noticed your guitar avatar.  Hopefully your power doesn't cause any hum or buzz in
the audio.  Sine wave inverters are a must for low noise of course, but sounds like you may have an OutBack inverter
so should be in good shape.

Glad to see you here !

boB

K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

ron45

Thanks for the warm welcome boB.  Glad to hear the software is getting close. Who is responsible for the look of the web sight and the dashboard etc? Makes me want to buy an argyle sweater and a fedora. Even the box my controller came in is very cool. Someone did some astute demographics work.

There is a hum in my studio that getting a 3524 didn't fix. Theory is the it's induction from the field generated by the inverter. `Not enough of a tek to know if that's true or not. There is a 10" adobe wall between the inverter and where the studio is plus I'm about 30 feet away. But the distribution panel is just on the other side of a different 10" wall. The mud walls probably don't matter a bit. All the interior walls are that thick for thermal mass value.

Ron
2.0 KW, mixed pv system 3 Zomeworks trackers, two 60 amp Outback mppt's, One 200v Midnite Classic Controler mppt, VFX 3524 inverter