News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Midnite Classic 200 input.

Started by morasolar, August 07, 2014, 04:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morasolar

What is a safe amperage input for a Classic 200 CC?
I will be setting up a 48v system with a Classic 200 I hope(I have not purchased the CC yet). I have 4 new Solarworld  255w (Voc):38.7v, SCC(Isc):8.66a modules that will form part of the arrays in my plan. 
I wonder if someone can help me to ascertain how many of these modules I can string together and how many of these strings I can safely input to the Classic 200. I tried the classic sizing tool but its results are somewhat confusing.
I believe the Classic 200 can handle about 200v, but I could not find how many amps it can safely receive from the module array.                       

Vic

Hi morasolar,

Good that you have used the Classic String Sizer.

To use this tool well,  you will want to have Vmp,  Imp,  and at least the Voc ratings for the PVs that you will be using.

STC Power is calculated by multiplying the Vmp by the Imp.   The Voc rating is very important,  as it is a primary factor in determining the number of PVs per string.  Even with the Classic's HyperVoc capability  the string Voc is still important.

Normally,  one ignores the input current from the array,  as the primary consideration (in addition to input voltage)  is the output current capability of a certain Classic model vs input voltage from the PV strings.

What  battery voltage will you be running?

FWIW,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

vtmaps

Quote from: morasolar on August 07, 2014, 04:41:17 PM
I will be setting up a 48v system with a Classic 200 I hope(I have not purchased the CC yet). I have 4 new Solarworld  255w (Voc):38.7v, SCC(Isc):8.66a modules that will form part of the arrays in my plan. 
I wonder if someone can help me to ascertain how many of these modules I can string together and how many of these strings I can safely input to the Classic 200. I tried the classic sizing tool but its results are somewhat confusing.
I believe the Classic 200 can handle about 200v, but I could not find how many amps it can safely receive from the module array.                       

Why do you want a Classic 200?  A Classic 150 would be better suited to your system.  Read the other thread you started:  http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=2008

--vtMaps

morasolar

Thanks for your response, Vic my battery bank will be 48v.

b4solar

Set then up as two strings of two on the Classic 150.

Link removed by Admin
Ben Zook
Belmont Solar

“Power, Without the Power Company”

SolarMusher

Quote from: b4solar on August 25, 2014, 08:59:03 AM
Set then up as two strings of two on the Classic 150.

Oups! 62V PV, 59V batt... Not great in summer temp. Better buy two more panels and set them x2 strings of three (90Vmp) on the Classic 150 for a 48V battery bank.
Erik
Off Grid with 4kw PV | 2x Classic 200/WBjr | 2x Outback VFX3648 Epanel | 3x SPD300 + 1x Schneider HEPD80 | Hub + Mate + PSX-240 | Volthium 400Ah/51.2V LFP battery bank + Trimetric | 1500 watts AC water heater | Kubota 11kw GL diesel generator

dgd

Quote from: morasolar on August 07, 2014, 04:41:17 PM

The classic will only take the input current, amps, that it needs.
Even though a module array may be capable of many more amps than the Classic is using this is no problem for the Classic.
The array sizing is to ensure there is a large enough array, in watts, to provide the Classic with sufficient input power to efficiently manage battery charging.

Dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand