News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

AC coupling

Started by beechhigby, August 31, 2014, 09:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beechhigby

I have heard of a AC coupling "controller" that can shut down indivual Enphase  M215 inverters in a 17 inverter string.
Anyone else heard of this?
I have 2 AC coupled systems to install, and though I would love to buy Midnite's powerpanel w/Magnum MSPAE inverter, for both, I  am swayed by the extra 400 watts on the 4448 Magnum because of the size of the Array/GT inverter. (4250WPV/17, M215=3655W), But the PP put together by Magnum isn't "trusted" as much without the failsafe of a Diversion Controller (C-35) with a water heater. which is available to me on only one project. and being in the tropics , Im trying not to install a resistance heater.
Any thoghts?

boB

Not sure exactly what you are referring to for the Enphase inverters but it sounds kind of like a neat idea.

The Magnum PAE can (as I understand) move its frequency when AC coupled so that it dumps any
GT inverters connected to its output.

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

tecnodave

Beechhigby,

I have seen such a setup but my understanding this is for direct grid tie........each panel has an inverter which feeds a higher DC voltage to the master controller.........which in turn feeds the grid directly.............no batteries....no charge controller.......i beleive that this is what the California Public Utilities requires for a direct grid tie.........one master controller that shuts down all inverters.....this is common to all systems like the Enphase.

That said I am off grid only and do not work on grid tie, my only experience is to remove red tagged systems and resell the components, twice now.......very strick guidelines about grid tie here...............
No plug in Chinese grid tie inverters allowed here.

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

tecnodave

Beechhigby,

I checked again on that ..........Enphase micro inverters produce 208 or 240 volts AC directly but are controlled by a control module .....The Enphase Envoy....which sends signals over the AC wiring to command the inverters on or off.......the envoy will determine if the grid is stable or not......it in turn is controlled by the rapid shutdown that is now required to shut down power in all parts of the system.

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P