Kid All I need or still need a Trimetric?

Started by ZoNiE, September 01, 2014, 06:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoNiE

I'm still unclear, will the Kid with the Whizbang give me all the same data as using a Trimetric 2025-RV (in my case)?

I Think so, but want to be sure.

I just picked up three nice Black Anodized KC-130GT panels, new in the box, 2006 vintage, for a good price, locally, and now am about to order the rest of the parts.

I am planning a Kid, Temp monitor, WBJ or TRImetric, and Shunt. I already have a pretty cool DIN breaker box I bought last week in France really cheap, and the breakers I need.

The panels also came with the extra cabling, and I tested them all and all test out nearly 100% of spec on Voc and Isc.
Daily Driver: 2013 Toyota Rav4EV with Tesla Guts...
Solar Project:
1996 Safari Sahara Class A Motorhome with:
4X Hanhwa 280W panels
1X Midnight Classic-150
4X  Dying WallyWorld Energizer GC2's bought by the PO
1X 2,000W Heart Interface Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger
1X Onan Emerald 6300LP RV Genset

Westbranch

Not really familiar with the Trimetric, so:

What is it you think is different or missing from the KID that the Tri has?
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come

Vic

ZoNiE,

The Trimetric is a single Shunt Battery Monitor.

The WBjr is becoming a nice battery monitor,  AND it has a capability that the Trimetric lacks.  The WB,  in conjunction with a Shunt,  CAN command the KID to exit Absorb based on measured battery charge current.

FirmWare version 1742 should have the WB EndAmps function included.

The KID and the WB just keep getting better and better,  with added functionality provided by frequent FirmWare Updates.

Furthermore,  the cost of the WB and shunt  is considerably lower than the Trimetric (believe that the TM comes without a Shunt).

FWIW,  my opinions.   Good Luck,     Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ZoNiE

OK, that works for me...

The only benefit I see from a trimetric is to get one before I install solar to see what my usage is, but frankly, I don't care, I just want to be able to keep 220-440AH charged daily when I boondock, which 390W should do, and I run the genny for AC anyway on hot days.
Solar Project:
4X Hanhwa 280W panels
1X Midnight Classic-150

Vic

ZoNiE,

I do NOT want to mislead you.  I have not used a Trimetric,  and the WBjr/KID (and Classic,  for that matter)  team keeps getting better and better via new FW.

But,  you should really carefully read the manual on the Trimetric,  and for the the KID/WBjr combo,  to make sure that the MidNite solution will do what you need it to do,  vs the capabilities of the Trimetric.

The Trimetric is about $152 at N AZ Wind & Sun,  and the WB is about $ 45 or so.

I have not measured the power of the KID when it is resting,  but one report is that this is about 0.04 Amps -- very similar to that of the Trimetric's power spec with the display on.

Please review each to make the decision.  But,  still,   the WB can tell the KID when to go to Float when you need it to do so,  based on settings that you control,  and the TM cannot do this.

Others should have more advice.   YMMV,   Good Luck,   Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

acorn

If your Kid is equipped with a battery temperature sensor then the battery capacity information it provides will be temperature compensated. This can be significant if the batteries are not in a temperature controlled space.

The Trimetric does not provide for temperature compensated capacity monitoring. The Pentametric, also from Bogart Engineering, can do this. The Victron BMV-702 with the optional temperature sensor can provide temperature compensated monitoring, as well as the Blue Sky IPN Pro when equipped with a temperature sensor.

When I looked at this issue it struck me that unless you have specialized monitoring needs, the Kid provides the same basic data, just not presented as many ways as the dedicated capacity monitors. As others have mentioned, the WBJR can be used to fine tune charging on the Kid.

-Scott

tecnodave

Zonie,

I do have a Tri-Metric 2025 RV And WBjr on my Classic 150......they share the same Deltec Shunt.............there is nothing that the trimetric can do that WBjr. Can't do for the average user..........there are a few differences that an advanced technologist will appreciate but if you want two monotoring systems a much better bang for the buck is the WBjr and a good hydrometer will tell you far more than any other combo of diagnostic tools.

The hydrometer will tell you the state of each cell in your battery stack.......something no reasonably priced electrical device can tell you.  I prefer the glass float type.....they are more accurate and good ones can be had for under $20. or so    Don't trust the ones that have 4 little balls......not enough data
Look for one that has graduated lines into tenths, I.e. 1.200, 1.210, etc. these will give you the best indication of battery state.

Good practice is to chart the readings of each cell in your battery stack, record float readings every week or so for a few months will tell you a lot about the state of your batteries. The readings need to be within .020 of each other or better......if you find one cell at .050 less than the others you will need to replace that battery........no commonly used electrical device can do that........for really big batteries where you have 2 volt cells then the electrical method is ok but most batteries made today do not have connections to each cell so you can test the whole battery only, not the cells.

I have many types of meters but I always go back to hydrometer readings for true state of charge.

td
#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

Kent3

Tecnodave
"The hydrometer will tell you the state of each cell in your battery stack.......something no reasonably priced electrical device can tell you."

I have to agree with Tecnodave, that a hydrometer is the only way to tell for sure the state of your battery bank

My KID  and WBj was in Float and said that my batteries were 100% full. I used my Hydro Volt hydrometer and it agreed with the WBj that my battery bank cells were between 1.275 and 1.280 SG.
Kent
6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user

Kent3

What I really like about the WBj is the ability to go into Float from Absorb based on current into the battery bank.
Ken
6 - 150 Watt PV, 210Ah /24V FLA Battery Bank, 2-MN-Kid CC w/WBjr and 2-MNBTS, eu2000i, eu3000i,  Samlex 1000 Watt PSW, 1000 Watt MSW,    Linux user

ClassicCrazy

I also have both Trimetric and Kid and Classic with Whizbang . They both show pretty much the same live data. Some history data may be a bit different. Better to put the trimetric $$ into the Kid or Classic. Sorry Trimetric which I have used for years ! The Trimetric has a better visible display which you can read across the room. But it takes some button pushing to scroll through the historical data . I guess the Kid doesn't give you the historical data but the Classic does.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

ZoNiE

Thanks for all the input. The comment from ClassicCrazy was very helpful since he has both. I'll save the $152...
Solar Project:
4X Hanhwa 280W panels
1X Midnight Classic-150

tecnodave

ClassicCrazy,

I totally agree with you about the Tri-metric, I have used them for years and have 2 now ,a 2020 and a 2025 but the WBjr goes beyond that.....it can stop adsorb at a preset amp value.......but I'm  not going to shelve the Tri-Metric's as I use 2 separate battery banks on my main system, They do present some value to me but for most users it is necessary duplication. I have a Classic 150 and two Kids with WBjr's

td

#1 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24volt L-16 Rolls-Surette S-530, MS4024 & Cotek ,  C-40 dirv.cont. for hot water
#2 Classic 150 12 x Sharp NE-170, 2S6P, 24 volt L-16 Interstate,Brutus Inv.
#3 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 4/6 P
#4 Kid/WBjr 4/6 Sanyo 200 watt multilayer 2S 2/3 P

psp300639

According to the Trimetric manual in the advance setting it can program to go from the "Absorption Stage" to "Floating Stage" of course with  certain parameters  are supplied  by the users in programing the Trimetric.

ClassicCrazy

Quote from: psp300639 on November 07, 2014, 09:04:42 PM
According to the Trimetric manual in the advance setting it can program to go from the "Absorption Stage" to "Floating Stage" of course with  certain parameters  are supplied  by the users in programing the Trimetric.

Yes the trimetric can show you what is going on , but the KID or Classic will show you and control charge. The Trimetric is not a controller only display.
system 1
Classic 150 , 5s3p  Kyocera 135watt , 12s Soneil 2v 540amp lead crystal for 24v pack , Outback 3524 inverter
system 2
 5s 135w Kyocero , 3s3p 270w Kyocera  to Classic 150 ,   8s Kyocera 225w to Hawkes Bay Jakiper 48v 15kwh LiFePO4 , Outback VFX 3648 inverter
system 3
KID / Brat portable

psp300639

The Trimetric standalone will function as display unit, but if used in tandem with the SC-2030 solar charger it allows more flexibility.😊