Monitoring battery capacity

Started by asdex, October 16, 2014, 05:55:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdex

Hi, what would be the best way to monitor capacity left in a battery bank. eg so I don't draw more than say 25% from it?
Thanks,
6 x JA Solar 320w solar panels facing NW, 4 x 300w panels facing North.
12 x 2volt Narada lead carbon batteries (24v 400ah), Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Trimetric monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

Doug

Hi Asdex,

The WBJr. and Classic will give you state of charge info.
Are you looking to automate the process?

Doug

asdex

Quote from: Doug on October 16, 2014, 06:18:49 PM
Hi Asdex,

The WBJr. and Classic will give you state of charge info.
Are you looking to automate the process?

Doug

Thanks, yes it would be nice for my diversion load to be disconnected when the batteries drop to a certain level equivalent to say 20% draw off. Aux 1 will operate the SSR once the batteries are floating with some sort of time set (maybe 30 minutes???) but if the battery capacity limit is reached before then due to say other draw offs or cloudy day then the SSR is opened or aux is turned off early.
Also does the WBJr measure amp/hours used to calculate capacity drain on the bank?
Cheers,
12 x 2volt Narada lead carbon batteries (24v 400ah), Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Trimetric monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

Robin

The WB Jr does calculate amp hours in and out of the battery and takes into account efficiency of the battery.
Your diversion load should automatically drop off line based on battery voltage. As you use up battery capacity, the voltage drops, so you should be able to use voltage as your drop off point. Check with your battery company for percent of charge based on voltage.
Robin Gudgel

asdex

Quote from: Robin on October 19, 2014, 09:08:13 PM
The WB Jr does calculate amp hours in and out of the battery and takes into account efficiency of the battery.
Your diversion load should automatically drop off line based on battery voltage. As you use up battery capacity, the voltage drops, so you should be able to use voltage as your drop off point. Check with your battery company for percent of charge based on voltage.

Hi thanks for your answer. That sounds like i should be ok. Yes I'll be looking at new batteries soon so will take that into account.
Cheers,
asdex