News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Inverter brand

Started by asdex, November 03, 2014, 02:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asdex

Hi, can anyone comment on the Studer brand of inverter? I'm looking at a 24 volt 2kw model (AJ2400-24) and they seem a reasonable price for the specs.
Thanks,
6 x JA Solar 320w solar panels facing NW, 4 x 300w panels facing North.
12 x 2volt Narada lead carbon batteries (24v 400ah), Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Trimetric monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

dgd

Quote from: asdex on November 03, 2014, 02:00:33 PM
Hi, can anyone comment on the Studer brand of inverter? I'm looking at a 24 volt 2kw model (AJ2400-24) and they seem a reasonable price for the specs.
Thanks,

I had  a look at these  (from AA solar) earlier this year and although the specs look good they were nothing exceptional compared to others.
No doubt excellent performers BUT no data communications/monitoring capability with no ethernet/serial ports etc.. unless I missed something :)
I didn't think they were very good value either, I see the model you refer to is $1889 from AA solar.
Unfortunately decent inverters in NZ tend to be very very expensive.
If you are spending that sort of $ then take a look at NAWS (Northern Arizona Wind and Sun) web site and see the Outback, Schneider, Magnum etc inverter/chargers. 

dgd
Classic 250, 150,  20 140w, 6 250w PVs, 2Kw turbine, MN ac Clipper, Epanel/MNdc, Trace SW3024E (1997), Century 1050Ah 24V FLA (1999). Arduino power monitoring and web server.  Off grid since 4/2000
West Auckland, New Zealand

asdex

Quote from: dgd on November 03, 2014, 05:12:48 PM
Quote from: asdex on November 03, 2014, 02:00:33 PM
Thanks,

If you are spending that sort of $ then take a look at NAWS (Northern Arizona Wind and Sun) web site and see the Outback, Schneider, Magnum etc inverter/chargers. 

dgd

All of those brands in 2kw are much more expensive and over my budget. I just need the Toyota of inverters not the Lexus. Also if I did buy offshore shipping something that heavy will be prohibitive.
Cheers,
12 x 2volt Narada lead carbon batteries (24v 400ah), Classic and WBJr, Epever 50A controller, Outback FX2024 inverter and Mate, Trimetric monitor, Alibaba solar pump.

zoneblue

Not as bad as you think. It will still land here considerably cheaper. Im with dgd, spending 1800, you may as well go the whole hog. See my thoughts on the matter here:

http://forum.solar-electric.com/showthread.php?24118-Importing-inverters

Still the NZD has dropped a bit...

Failing that go to something cheaper but still solid like Powermaster, Exceltec or Samlex.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

boB

Just a couple of other suggestions.

Have you also looked at Victron ?    Or, Mastervolt ?

boB
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

asdex

Hi, thanks for the advice on the brands. I'm looking at the Studer, Victron and Powermaster. I don't like the idea of the high frequency inverters. They may not last as long. The Poweraster is from Taiwan so may not be as good as the European inverters. The Victron looks ok. I.m not interested in the three phase, paralleling or comms. I still don't see much wrong with the Studer and the over current rates are very good. Will check them out a bit more.
Cheers,

vtmaps

Quote from: boB on November 05, 2014, 01:34:23 AM
Have you also looked at Victron ?    Or, Mastervolt ?

I have my eye on a Victron Phoenix inverter (1000 watt pure sine) with an incredibly low 5 watt tare loss.  (even less with search mode)  They have a good reputation in the marine world... that's the problem... The one I want is not listed for hard-wired installation in the US.   If you don't mind having outlets on the inverter, I suggest you take a good look at it.

--vtMaps

boB

Also, Samlex is decent.

If weight is an issue for shipping, high frequency is going to be lighter than an inverter with a low frequency transformer for the same inverter power rating so you can't have both.
K7IQ 🌛  He/She/Me

zoneblue

Our local installer likes the Powermaster L series. Theyre cheap, LF, and hes intsalled dozens of them without issue. 800 nzd for the 1200W model. Stuff out of asia is always going to be cheaper in the pacific, than euro stuff. Ditto US, old trade antongonisms that go back to nuclear free nz days. The new primeminister seems bent of changing all that. But thats another subject. Ahem.

Quote from: asdex on November 05, 2014, 04:06:21 AM
Hi, thanks for the advice on the brands. I'm looking at the Studer, Victron and Powermaster. I don't like the idea of the high frequency inverters. They may not last as long. The Poweraster is from Taiwan so may not be as good as the European inverters. The Victron looks ok. I.m not interested in the three phase, paralleling or comms. I still don't see much wrong with the Studer and the over current rates are very good. Will check them out a bit more.
Cheers,
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

asdex

Thanks, yes I'm just looking at the Victron Phoenix C24/2000 now. I'm sure I'll be happy with any of those brands. I generally have a habit of over-thinking things.
Mastervolt are very expensive.
I'll decide between the Victron, Powermaster and Studer. Victron are leading at the moment as they have a company branch in NZ and service them locally.
Cheers,

lasolargroup

Hi,

I really don't know about it... but i will make follow up with your post and i think it will help me... :)
Link removed as it resembled advertising

mike90045

Just ordered a Victron Phoenix 24/800va for my in-law hut.   Nobody seemed to know what the actual part # would be and what kind of AC connection I'll have.  best guess is a 15A duplex outlet, or if I can get to the inner board and wire in to a distribution panel, I'll keep this posted.
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

Westbranch

Quote from: mike90045 on December 20, 2014, 03:08:54 AM
Victron Phoenix 24/800va .   Nobody seemed to know what the actual part # would be and what kind of AC connection I'll have.  .

Strange as they list a range of outlets dependent on the area to be used in...??   
I looked at them a while ago and the specs seem respectable , standby etc..
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come