News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Setup Advice Request

Started by menalice, November 25, 2014, 08:49:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

menalice

Before I begin, the equipment is: Three 215w panels, combiner box w3ea 12a breakers, big baby box w2ea 40a breakers, MidNite Classic 150, whizbangjr, three 12v 150ah@20hr batteries wired parallel, 2000w pure sinewave inverter, mounted on a motorhome.

1st: When I turn the power off to the MidNite Classic 150 it looses the time and date and I have to reset it - is this normal?  I had thought that it should have an internal battery for such.

Now: Did I do it right? 
I have three 215 watt solar panels on the roof of my motorhome that I wired parallel instead of in series. My thought was "in case one was shaded" the others wouldn't be so affected.
Is my thinking flawed?  Am I giving up the "rapid charging ability" from the three 26v panels by being wire parallel?

I am also having difficulty setting up the Charge Controller:
I have tried to tell it how many Amp Hours my battery bank totals, but I can't get into that screen.

zoneblue

Sounds like to go back and thoroughly read the manual.  Classic (assuming full classic) you have to remove the plastic from the MNGP battery.

For parallel panels you need to make sure that the Vmp is at about 12V above the battery voltage.
6x300W CSUN, ground mount, CL150Lite, 2V/400AhToyo AGM,  Outback VFX3024E, Steca Solarix PL1100
http://www.zoneblue.org/cms/page.php?view=off-grid-solar

vtmaps

Quote from: zoneblue on November 25, 2014, 01:59:31 PM
Classic (assuming full classic) you have to remove the plastic from the MNGP battery.

A few folks have had problems with the battery connection even after they remove the plastic tab on the battery... apparently there may be a bit of sticky adhesive that remains on the battery or on the battery contacts in the MNGP.

--vtMaps

Robin

It is possible that solder joints on the battery clip are bad and not making connection?
Robin Gudgel

menalice

I removed the battery from inside the Classic, tested it - 0.66v, not good.  Trip to Walmart and $6+ = all is well, at least with the memory, and that is a relief. 

I am still trying to figure out how to tell the Full MidNite Classic 150, with newest firmware downloaded and installed, that my battery bank is 450ah (@ 20hrs rate).  I understand that, coupled with the
WhizBangJr, that it will give me a fairly accurate SOC.  I think I would like that.  I have been through the owners manual and watched the video online but for some reason mine doesn't go to those screens.  More research.

In doing some research it seems that I have been too concerned with getting the batteries fully charged every day.  I have seen it stated that if we get to 90% or better twice a week or every 10 days that all should be fine.  Anyone have exceptions to this?

Okay, enough of that - Happy Thanksgiving!!!  Now lets eat, again!

Westbranch

the simplest way, if you are computer savvy, is to install the Local App and set the battery size that way, IMHO.  Just use the Lan cable direct to your laptop

And while you are at it, update the Firm Ware and then do a Factory Reset (Vulcan Mind Meld)...

Getting the F-Ware  installed can be a bit of a fussy process, follow the instructions EXACTLY, 

so,  if you miss a step  :o :o :o... 

do each step and wait,  :)  the little CPU in the CC takes a bit of time.

http://www.midnitesolar.com/firmwareIndex.php

hth
KID FW1811 560W >C&D 24V 900Ah AGM
CL150 29032 FW V.2126-NW2097-GP2133 175A E-Panel WBjr, 3Px4s 140W > 24V 900Ah AGM,
2 Cisco WRT54GL i/c DD-WRT Rtr, NetGr DS104Hub
Cotek ST1500 Inv  want a 24V  ROSIE Inverter
OmniCharge3024  Eu1/2/3000iGens
West Chilcotin 1680+W to come