News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

96v Battery Bank

Started by NCPW, November 25, 2014, 08:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCPW

I need a charge controller suitable for charging a 96v battery bank
Is there midnite regulator option, combination setup available ?

Robin

We stopped building the controller that would charge up to 150VDC. Not enough call for all the hassles.
I would suggest splitting the charge up to two controllers set for 48V nominal. That is pretty common.
Robin Gudgel

mike90045

Quote from: Robin on November 25, 2014, 09:57:02 PM
We stopped building the controller that would charge up to 150VDC. Not enough call for all the hassles.
I would suggest splitting the charge up to two controllers set for 48V nominal. That is pretty common.

So, in that case, one or both of the controllers would not be grounded at all (or else it shorts half your battery to it'self)
http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar

Classic 200| 2Kw PV, 160Voc | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph )| Listeroid 6/1, st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | midnight ePanel & 4 SPDs | 48V, 800A NiFe battery bank | MS-TS-MPPT60 w/3Kw PV

vtmaps

One potential advantage of having two controllers on a battery bank is that the two parts of the bank could enter absorb and float at different times.  This would occur because of natural variation in the cells that comprise the two parts of the bank.  Taking it to the limit, there would be a controller for each cell... it's called a BMS (battery management system).

The Classics are ideal for such a system because with their battery monitor, they could use end amps charging.

Most current shunts are in the battery negative circuit.  The main reason for this (as I understand it) is that the sense leads do not need to be fused... they are essentially at ground potential. 

So, how does this work if two Classics are used to charge a 96 volt battery? 

Can they each have their own whizBangJr?   Where would the shunts be located?  Would the floating system's whizBangJr need to be fused?

Are there any grounding issues with communication cables?

--vtMaps