Purpose of "Load" Connection

Started by kelly, December 29, 2014, 10:41:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelly

I am putting together an off grid 12V solar system with a KID charge controller.  It is for a travel trailer, which has a single unit that combines a 1000W inverter and a 50 Amp charge controller, which will either supply AC power from the batteries, or will charge the batteries when the trailer is connected to shore power.  The inverter/charge controller will have to be connected directly to the battery, not through the Kid. 

My question is, why would I connect any of my loads through the Kid?  With a 30 Amp limit, the load connection isn't worth bothering with and I would prefer to just wire everything through a separate breaker box and not connect anything to the Kid "Load" connections.  Is this going to cause any problems, such as errors in the output from the Whizbang Jr?

Resthome

Quote from: kelly on December 29, 2014, 10:41:50 AM
I am putting together an off grid 12V solar system with a KID charge controller.  It is for a travel trailer, which has a single unit that combines a 1000W inverter and a 50 Amp charge controller, which will either supply AC power from the batteries, or will charge the batteries when the trailer is connected to shore power.  The inverter/charge controller will have to be connected directly to the battery, not through the Kid. 

My question is, why would I connect any of my loads through the Kid?  With a 30 Amp limit, the load connection isn't worth bothering with and I would prefer to just wire everything through a separate breaker box and not connect anything to the Kid "Load" connections.  Is this going to cause any problems, such as errors in the output from the Whizbang Jr?

Your load and charging Negatives need to go to one side of the shunt that the WBJr is connected to. The other side of the shunt must have only one connection to the Battery negative.
John

10 x Kyocera KC140, Classic 150 w/WBJr, Link10 Battery Monitor, 850 AH @ 12v Solar One 2v cells, Xantrex PROwatt SW2000
Off Grid on Houseboat Lake Don Pedro, CA

Doug

The load connection is there for turning loads on after dusk/ before dawn. This is generally used for lighting.

mondo

I questioned this also because on page 25 of the manual, it states all loads are connected to the load terminals of the main kid terminal block.  It seems the load connection is best used with a single device, like a night light, or else, if more than one device, then all devices will turn off and on depending on the setting.

SM-Viper

Kelly,

I'm sorry to ask this, but, are you actually using solar panels to assist with charging your batteries? If not, why use the Kid CC?

As for the Load terminal; As I understand it, This is a load controlled output from The Kid. Which means that you can set it up to control when you want connected loads to turn on and turn off.  One example of this is that is, if you have loads running at night, you would not want those loads to drain the batteries too low-or even run the batteries completely dead. You can program the load controller to turn off all outputs connected to the load terminal when the battery reaches some pre-defined voltage limit, (Low Voltage Disconnect LVD).

Hope this helps!
12v Off grid backup system and "playground"
(4) 245 watt Solar World panels 2x2
(2) 6v Deka 215 AH golf cart batteries series
(1) Kid CC
(1) MNDC125 DC Disconnect, all 2/0 wire
wbjr and 500A shunt all breakers
(1) MNPV3 combiner box.

Robin

SM-Viper got it right. You do not need to use the load circuit on the Kid. It has the capability to save your batteries from being drained to zero. The new AGS version can also turn loads and lights on and off at specified times. Let's say you want an outside lite to turn on at dusk for two or three hours and then turn off. It can also turn that light back on an hour before sun up. Things like that are available along with auto gen start. Mario added an additional aux output for these new features so you can still have the WB Jr, auto gen start and the load circuit. I have heard it may be possible to get some of these features on the present day kid, but probably not all. The Kid AGS is not officially shipping yet. We still have a bit more work to do to it before things transition to the new Kid AGS.
Mario is also finishing up a revised and improved Bully mode that remembers things if disconnected.
The Kid really rocks!
Robin Gudgel

SolaRevolution

I'm looking for a way to control a cooling fan for a fairly small equipment enclosure.  I don't see an appropriate setting in the KID manual. 

Right now I have the DC load connection set on "Diversion" so my 12 volt fan will run when the battery voltage is elevated.  This solves the issue of heat while charging (from the solar array or from the system's AC charger) but it doesn't do anything for head created by inverter loading.  Any ideas?  Could it be possible to turn it on based on current or device temperature? (not RTS Sorry! I meant MNBTS!)

I've ordered a snap switch thermostat (I don't remember off hand but I think it is on at 115 F, off at 95 F.)  I would far rather be able to keep things simple by using the on board controls in the KID.