News:

To visit MidNite Solar click this link www.midnitesolar.com

Main Menu

Just a Thought

Started by ZoNiE, January 21, 2015, 10:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoNiE

My Kid has been running for a few months now. I have not needed to water the batteries. At all. With the WFCO charger in my RV, I had to check the batteries every few weeks and add water.

I'm thinking since the Kid and the WHJR do such a good job of minding the batteries, that I could feed the WFCO charger output to the Kid when plugged in. This way the Kid will control the charge.

The WFCO is a 30A unit, I think. Need to check.

Any thoughts?

Crazy?

Good idea?

What Input mode do I use or do I just use a contactor to switch the input of the kid from solar to the charger?
Daily Driver: 2013 Toyota Rav4EV with Tesla Guts...
Solar Project:
1996 Safari Sahara Class A Motorhome with:
4X Hanhwa 280W panels
1X Midnight Classic-150
4X  Dying WallyWorld Energizer GC2's bought by the PO
1X 2,000W Heart Interface Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger
1X Onan Emerald 6300LP RV Genset

Vic

Hi ZoNiE,

Do not know what is that WFCO,  but assume that it is a line-operated battery charger.

In light of discussions elsewhere on this Forum,  it is probably NOT recommended.
Here is a Link to one such Thread.  At Post #10,  boB explains some of the details:
http://midniteforum.com/index.php?topic=2280.0

One issue could well be that its output voltage is a bit too low to allow the KID to operate reliably,  and it could quite possible damage the KID.

And,  having Flooded batteries consume SOME water is usually a good sign that the batteries are being fully charged.  I assume that you are monitoring the SGs of your batteries at least monthly (?).

Opinions,    Vic
Off Grid - Sys 1: 2ea SW+ 5548, Surrette 4KS25 1280 AH, 5.25 KW PV, Classic 150,WB, Beta Barcelona, Beta KID
Sys 2: SW+ 5548s, 4KS25s, 5.88 KW PV, 2 ea. Classic 150, WB, HB CC-needs remote Monitoring/Control, site=remote.
 MN Bkrs/Bxs/Combiners. Thanks MN for Great Products/Svc/Support&This Forum!!

ZoNiE

Sorry for the late reply. I do monitor my SG and my relatively old (2010,2011) GC2's are holding up well and the SG show proper charging.

I have to say that the care the Kid takes of my batteries leads me to want a shore power charger with the same circuits and software.
Daily Driver: 2013 Toyota Rav4EV with Tesla Guts...
Solar Project:
1996 Safari Sahara Class A Motorhome with:
4X Hanhwa 280W panels
1X Midnight Classic-150
4X  Dying WallyWorld Energizer GC2's bought by the PO
1X 2,000W Heart Interface Freedom 20 Inverter/Charger
1X Onan Emerald 6300LP RV Genset